Thirty eight

"Klaus?" I stood from where I'd been cleaning up the salty glue.

Camille and Hayley were helping, thankfully.

Klaus stumbled into the compound, bleeding from his head. Well, bleeding everywhere.

"What the fuck happened?" I rushed toward him, barely catching Klaus before he fell. "Elijah!"

He showed up at his side, pulling his brother's arm over his shoulder. "What-"

"Happened? I don't know. Just help me get him to his bed."

Elijah nodded.

"We'll finish this, Maverick, you go take care of him." Hayley hadn't even got up.

They'd been insisting I rest after the... incident and we'd put the kids down for their nap, but I refused. What I needed now was something to take my mind off this.

Elijah and I worked in tandem to walk him up the stairs. Stupid Klaus had his room on the third floor.

We had to move sideways, the stairway wasn't big enough to go side by side.

To be honest, Elijah was doing most of the work. Klaus wasn't much help, he was practically unconscious.

I missed a step and my heart skipped a beat, I almost dropped my side of him. "Holy fuck."

"Are you alright?" Elijah eyed me.

"I'm fine."

Finally we got to Klaus' room, and I tried to help lay him down gently on the bed, though doing so with him was nearly impossible.

I climbed up beside him, and brushed his curls away from his forehead, relieved to see the cuts already beginning to heal. Who could've done this to him? He generally didn't get this hurt in fights.

"He seems okay, maybe needs a little blood, but not irreversibly injured." I'd have to do a more thorough inspection, but he was breathing at least, and I could hear his heart beating.

Elijah seemed to do the same once over. "He's seen worse."

I couldn't help but think about the whip marks on his back. "Do you have any idea where he went?"

He shook his head. "Wherever Niklaus was going, he wanted it private."

"It scares me a little that he's so beat up. Makes me wonder what the other guy looks like." I began unbuttoning Klaus' shirt, if he got stabbed with a wooden stake, it wouldn't kill him, but it'd hurt like hell. It'd be best to dig it out now than wait for the pieces to find his heart. "If ghosts are breaking through the veil, he might have met his match." Or several matches. Klaus murdered a lot of people.

He stirred, his expression scrunching up in pain, muttering something under his breath. It sounded like... "Is he saying Michael?"

"Mikael." Elijah paled.

Their father.

The same man that'd made Klaus incredibly irritable. "Your dad's name is Mikael Mikaelson?"

"He's in the city then." He ignored my question. "And Niklaus went after him alone." Elijah stepped back. "Stay here, I have to go deal with this."

Then he was gone.

Alright. I finally got his shirt open, and it was a wonder Klaus had even been standing at all. His chest was a mess.

Wöðen.

"What did he do to you?"

Klaus stopped moving, apparently passing out.

I got up, rushing to the bathroom, I didn't want to be gone long, Incase he needed me. I grabbed one of those decorative flower bowl things, taking the styrofoam and flowers out, before rinsing it.
I filled it with water, and then picked up a wash cloth.

Why didn't he tell anyone where he was going? Especially with someone so dangerous. I felt bad for hogging the rest of the Originals in the safety of my salt circle.

Maybe if they hadn't been here, they could've helped him.

A series of popping sounds drew my attention back to the room. That only happened when...

Why was Klaus turning?

His clothes ripped, as skin was replaced by fur. He hardly even stirred, which was impressive. It was normally painful to fully turn, even with our hybrid nature, it did ease it somewhat.

And made it faster.

Soon enough, a very familiar wolf lay on Klaus' bed.

One with white fur, this time, parts of it were matted and covered in blood.

Holy. Shit.