Forty three

Castiel hadn't returned and I was getting worried, both for him, and for Bennett.

What would happen?

"Hey." Hayley fell into step with me, Hope on her hip. The sidewalk was already crowded enough without her.

Fuck me.

I'd hoped I'd get some time to process what I learned, but apparently I couldn't even get that.

"When are you going to give up?" She had been trying to hang out with me for the past few days, and honestly, it was just adding to the stress. Dahlia's deadline was fast approaching, and I still hadn't figured out what I was going to do.

"When we're friends at least. Rebekah is in her coffin, and Freya is... Freya. She's still getting used to the modern world."

I didn't know how I felt about Freya. She and I rarely interacted.

"Hayley, I don't know how I could make this any more clear, I don't like you." I couldn't catch a break. "And I'm not interested in being your friend, or Camille's for that matter."

"Okay, but what about our kids? They'll be half siblings. We have to get along for their benefit."

"Or not." I rolled my eyes. "If they decide to get along, that's fine, but it'll be their choice."

"We're the outsider women in the family?"

"Why are you trying so hard?"

"Because." She dodged a passerby. "You're the only one who understands what it's like to be a wolf before a vampire. After Hope's birth I struggled with becoming a hybrid a lot."

Seriously?! "So what, you expect us to be besties?"

It did explain why she was gone so much. I was only kind of jealous that she had the freedom to go wherever, whenever she wanted.

"Is it so bad I'm trying to find common ground? Elijah and I are together, you and I both know that once you have the interest of an Original, it won't go away."

"I highly doubt our situations are even remotely similar."

She chewed on her lip. "You're right. I understand that you're still angry about the hybrids, maybe you'll never forgive me for that, but our kids, they're going to be family, and I don't want my daughter's relationship with her half siblings to suffer because you can't let go."

"Because I can't- you have got to be kidding me."

"They're family."

"That doesn't mean anything. My family threw me away in the name of the pack. No, Bennett's real family lives far away from here, safe from Originals."

Hayley looked taken aback. "You're selfish."

I laughed humorlessly, stopping on the sidewalk. "Selfish?! I'm trying to do what's best for my kids. Just because I refuse to fit into your perfect picture, doesn't mean I'm only thinking of myself."

She stepped in front of me. "Look. I don't want to be enemies. We should stick together, especially with the threat Dahlia poses to Bennett or any other first born."

"What do you propose Hayley? That we go back in time and you don't tell Klaus that his hybrids are plotting against him?"

Her voice lowered. "Jackson said the wolves were willing to help get us out of the city. Some of them would cause a distraction, and we'd leave until the dust settles. The Mikaelsons are gonna be pissed but at least Hope and Bennett won't be in the crossfire."

It was a tempting offer.

"I can't do that." I was only doing what I was doing with Marcel because I somewhat trusted that he knew what he was doing. If Klaus even heard what Hayley was suggesting... "And I don't think you should either. Going behind his back isn't smart."

"I'm not putting my baby in danger just so yours is a little safer."

"Except Hope isn't actually in danger. Once Dahlia realizes what's happened, she'll come after Bennett and Freya says that she is preparing for it."

She shook her head. "I'm leaving on Friday, after everyone falls asleep. I hope you change your mind, but do me a favor and don't mention it to the boys. It'll be easier that way."

I'd need to give Klaus the last dose on Thursday.

Dahlia's plan would already be in effect, so it didn't actually matter. Though it would be very close.

"I won't, but as a reminder, Klaus' reaction won't be pleasant." Especially because he'll already be angry. "And Elijah is an entirely different story."

"I know, I know, but I need Hope to survive to see her first birthday." She shifted her baby, shielding her from the warm sun.

"Good luck." I began moving in the direction of the compound. I hadn't realized how close we were. But there was no way they'd heard us, even with their hearing. It was far too crowded in the quarter.

"Wait, I want you to swear to me you won't tell them, swear on Bennett." Hayley caught my arm just as I was about to round the corner to the entry way.

But we both froze.

Elijah was yelling. He never yelled.

"You're going to lose her."

"Not this again." That was definitely Klaus. They had to be upstairs. "It's not as though she would leave. The lives of her precious hunters rely on her presence in New Orleans."

"Can you not see that she's already checked out. Those walks she goes on are the only things she gets excited for."

It was clear who they were talking about, and I felt heat creep up my neck when I realized Hayley was watching me.

Was I really that transparent?

"What would you suggest, Hm? Allow her to sleep in the swamp with those of her own kind? Ah, wait. I am her kind. Perhaps I should allow some romance to bloom between her and that werewolf, what was his name?" Something sloshed around.

"She is wasting away here. Either let her go or actually do something with what is clearly between the two of you."

"Or what?" I could just imagine Klaus' defiant glare.

"I'll release her, and there isn't a damn thing you can do to hurt those she loves, lest you destroy the one chance you have with her."

Elijah's footsteps clicked down the hall, and something shattered.

Hayley and I exchanged a glance, but she had this knowing look that bothered me.