13

(TW: Implied SA)

"Have anything to tell me?" Lily asked Isleen as the two got changed in the early morning.

"No, why?" Isleen answered, unaware of where the conversation was headed.

"Nothing about a kiss between you and Mr Black?"

"What?!" Isleen turned around. "How- When did you- How did you hear about that?"

"Sirius told James and me the other day."

"James knows too?! Lils, can you tell your bastard boyfriend not to say shit to-"

"Don't worry, Sirius already asked us both not to tell people." Lily smiled. "So what's up with you two?"

"Lily, I'm sure you already know. Sirius can never keep his gob shut."

She pulled Isleen to sit down on the bed with her. "What happened, Isleen? I know you like Sirius so why are you leading him on?"

"When I kissed him... I liked it."

"I thought that would be a good thing."

Isleen tucked her knees to her chest. "That's what scared me. I liked liking him, and the last time that happened Evan did all that shit to me and..."

"Sirius isn't Evan, my love. He would never do that to you." Lily scooched beside her. "And I understand why you're scared, but you haven't seen Evans in ages. He's not holding anything against you anymore and... you're free."

Isleen pulled her knees tighter to her chest. "Lily, do you know why we take the long route to Astronomy? Why I only choose to sit on a specific side of the dinner tables?"

"I just... I just thought you... I didn't really think about it. But it's him, isn't it?"

She nodded softly and Lily wasn't sure what to do, as Isleen had started crying. "I know that Evan and I are done. But when you say he can't hurt me... he can."

And as Isleen began to explain... that's when Lily's heart sank to her stomach.

———

"Hey, Lil-" Mary grinned with Marlene and Dorcas behind her.

"Shh!" Lily whispered, Isleen curled into her chest. "She just fell asleep."

"What happened?" Dorcas asked, her voice now hushed too.

"We were talking about her and Sirius and then she told me some shit Evan did."

"More? He can literally go kill hims-"

"Marls! This is serious."

"Hey I'm sorry, but what else can he have done? He's already done some fucked up shit."

Lily felt tears in her eyes saying it. "He wrote about it. Every time he wrote about it in this book of his. He still has it and she's scared that if she does anything to upset him then he'll share it."

"But that's worse for him, right?" Mary frowned. "I mean, she's the victim in all of it."

"It's not about who's the victim, it's how people see it. It wasn't her fault but there's not really anything people can hold against him if it was all technically consensual."

"He manipulated her into it, Lily." Dorcas shook her head. "Who's side are you on?"

"Isleen's side- I'm always on her side! But she said it herself, if that shit gets out there's nothing that can get him in serious trouble. He won't be expelled and he won't be punished for long so at this point she's just trying to do everything she can to stop it from getting to her!" Lily, while defending her point, shot up from her seat.

This resulted in Isleen waking up. "Guys! What's going on?"

The other four looked at each other. Marlene sat on the edge of the bed. "He wrote about it?"

Isleen turned to Lily. "You told them?"

"I'm so sorry, Isleen."

Isleen turned back to Marlene. "Every single word. He wrote about it all and... He still has the necklace."

"You said you lost it." Mary held the bedpost. "He took it?"

"... There are so many things I haven't told you guys because I didn't want to bother you with the boring details of it." She rubbed her tired eyes. "And I don't want to bother you with it now. I'm going to go to my dorm."

"We'll walk you there-"

"Don't. I want to go alone."

———

"Sirius!" Isleen called after him.

"Isleen?"

He turned around and saw her, her eyes tired and her hair messy. "I know you spoke to Lily and James."

"Look, Night, I'm not going to apologise for talking about my feelings-"

"I wasn't going to ask you to..." She looked around at the busy crowds. "Can we find somewhere quieter to can talk?"

Sirius looked around and spotted an old, empty and, thankfully, still staircase. They walked over and sat on individual steps. "What did you want to talk about?"

"What happened the other day. I don't want there to be huge miscommunication between us and then we both fuck something up."

"... Go on."

"... I lied to you. I said I didn't feel anything when we kissed, but that was a lie. I... shit I can't believe I'm saying this, I like you, Sirius. I don't know if it's a little crush or if I genuinely like you but it's really hard for me to like you."

"I get it, I mean I've never been in a serious relationship either."

"No, that's..." She laughed gently to ease the tension. "That's not what I mean. It's quite the opposite for me, actually. I told you about how I dated, Evan Rosier, right?"

"Mhm, what about him?"

"He was my first and last relationship," She nodded. "He did some... absolute shit while we were together, and I guess I never really got over it."

"Do you want to talk about it? I'm a good listener."

"As much as I appreciate that, Sirius, I don't think I'm ready to talk to you about it yet." She smiled softly. "So I was hoping to ask you for some sort of compromise?"

"Sure, what is it?" He asked, twirling a ring on his index finger.

"I'm willing to be just friends with you right now. When I feel like I can really trust you and when you feel like you're ready to hear it, I'll tell you about what happened. After that, we can see where that leaves us and if you're still willing to give us a chance after it. Does that sound fine?"

She mockingly held out a hand for him to shake.

Sirius laughed and shook it. "It sounds good."

———