5. Fall Festival

ARISTIDE

Hilltop's a small town, but in the ways that matter-a close-knit, connected community, neighborly concern, and rapport-the town feels like a big city. And this is coming from a New Yorker. The people in this town do not know each other, not in the way small towns are supposed to.

They're too socioeconomically divided and too busy keeping up with the Joneses, the tension making it impossible for families to congregate and gather the ways that small towns are known to do.

Still, the mayor must be invested in emphasizing the small-town feel, because they hold onto their traditions for dear life. Friday night high school lacrosse games attended by masses of people, parades about summer's arrival, and today, the Annual Fall Festival.

"Oh my goodness!" Sera exclaims with a gasp, and despite myself, I reluctantly flick my gaze down to her. Immediately, I regret it. "It's an open-air market!" She's bouncing on her heels, looking so adorable, it's sickening.

She's wearing a white dress shirt of mine, the extra material tied up to showcase just a hint of smooth, brown belly, and wearing what must be a pair of my old pants that she's somehow fashioned into looking high-waisted on her and flaring at the bottom.

I'm not so sure how she's made them fit so snugly. All I know is that complete with the Yankees classic baseball hat pulled low on her head, another item of mine found in the guest room, I've been driven to distraction the whole morning. It's only eight and the day is still fully ahead of us. That said, I've avoided looking at her a lot.

"Fan of open-air markets?" I ask her, forcing myself to look straight ahead.

It's still early, but the market is already bustling with activity. Vendors marketing their products to interested consumers, spices, and aromas tickling the air, and parents shuffling wide-eyed kids away from colorful fruits on display.

As advertised on their social media, there are hundreds of activities lined up for the Annual Fall event, and three other ones going on at the moment, including a pancake-eating contest that sounds quite . . . riveting. But after scouring the long list this morning, I thought starting with a stroll in the market would be nice.

"Never been to one," she mumbles distractedly in response to my question, the truth slipping out as she turns her head left to right to take in the various vendors. Something tells me that she would have lied if she wasn't so fascinated by the displays.

I slow down our pace when I see her eyeing a table covered in a deep red tarp, handmade bracelets, and necklaces artfully placed on the table, and an older woman smiling widely behind her goods.

Her eyes zero in on Sera's clear interest. "Hello there, pretty girl! Care for a beautiful Chuka bracelet? Only five dollars a piece!" She waves her hand at her bracelets.

"Hi," Sera greets, looking sheepish as she shakes her head, "these look absolutely beautiful, but I don't have any-"

"Oh, what the hell? I can give you a deal!" The woman pronounces, pointing her finger at Sera dramatically, all her flare and tone highlighting a well-rehearsed performance. "Four fifty and I'll give you a free coupon for next time!"

Shaking her head apologetically, Sera tries to explain once more, "No, no it's not about the price, I just don't-"

"You know what? You're a beautiful young lady! I'll do you one better-four dollars, a coupon, and . . . and one free handmade earring!" The cracks in the woman's performance start to show as she stumbles over her words. "Can't give you both earrings, but it's amazing all the same, right?!"

Before Sera can apologize some more, I dig my hand into my pocket and slip out a bill from my wallet, handing it to the woman who snatches it before I can even finish offering it to her.