23. Better In 4

SERAPHINA

This is my first time on a FaceTime call, and it's quite . . . interesting, to say the least. Especially because it's a four-way call.

"No, because you guys will never silence me. I think Dr. Roscoff is fine. Like, zaddy-level fine. DILF fine. Not my type, but I had him sophomore year for art history, and when I tell you I was shy in his presence? I had a private meeting with him for a project and I was whispering the whole time, I swear."

Amara cackles and Rochelle nods slowly, a considering look on her face as if she'd never thought about it but now that Jaya is pointing it out, she can see it.

"The man has a white beard, guys." I chuckle a bit, shaking my head. "And he's so quiet and reserved. So somber."

"First of all, his hair is salt and pepper, thank you very much. And please. The silent ones are always the worst." Jaya is stomach down on her bed, her legs up and swinging. She's still in her Sunday best, a pale yellow dress hanging off her shoulders and her hair in a high ponytail.

Rochelle wiggles her brows. "Mm, you would know." Behind her, the wind blows fluffy clouds in the sky.

Ro plays on the girls' lacrosse team, and they have an away game tonight. Currently, she and her team are on the field, taking a break from practice.

Amara clears her throat but doesn't say anything while Jaya glares at the screen, clearly pointing it at Rochelle. "We're not talking about him, Ro."

"I didn't even mention him."

Him being Fin Barton, whose voice I've yet to even hear despite how much I've found out about the guy in the past month of being at Hilltop Prep. Not only is his name splattered all over academic awards around the building, but my calculus teacher continuously references him as her star pupil.

"Anyways, this is all to say, Sera, yes, it's totally normal for you to have a crush on Roscoff and want to carry on his legacy. I've been there, sister."

I snort. "Yeah, but that's not even what I said, though. How do we go from 'I'm thinking of going on his class trip' to me having a crush on the man and damn near wanting to have his babies?" I whisper the last part, watching that the door is shut even though Aristide's not even home yet.

Babies are a bit of a sore subject in the house right now. Even the mere mention of them from a diaper ad sends Aristide frowning and scowling left and right, leaving him in a surly mood.

He's been taking to kissing me to relieve his frustration, much to my dismay. But allowing him to kiss me is too easy when Chiara is nowhere to be seen in the past week and a half. When his hands slide up my nape, he pulls me forward, and his lips meet mine, I quite literally forget about whatever the hell is going on with Chiara.

Sure, I haven't asked. But he hasn't said anything, either. It's like an unspoken rule not to talk about anything having to do with her. Honestly, I'm quite convinced that he must be stashing her and her bump in some house on the other side of town.

"Don't listen to her, Sera," Amara says, "she's just projecting her own sophomore fantasies on you."

I smile at her. "Thank you, Amara." With a grin, I stick my tongue out at Jaya.

"Brat." She sticks her tongue back at me.

"Bully," I retort, trying not to laugh.

"Meanie."

"Pushy."

"Bully."

"I already said-"

"Alright!" Ro yells at us, giving dirty looks as the wind blows her through her braids. "You two. Let's stop being childish for a minute and discuss the reason why I called. The party tomorrow. Amara, want to take the floor?"