alone with you

You and Wally sneak away for a breath of fresh air, providing the perfect opportunity to try to get your feelings off your chest.

"Would you like to step outside with me, neighbour?"

It was a Friday night, meaning the residents of the neighbourhood were gathered at Julie's home for one of your weekly little jamborees.

Perplexed by Wally's unusual desire to leave a social setting, you eyed him worriedly.

"...Are you feeling ill?" You fret, facing him to provide your full attention, going as far as gently pressing the back of your hand against his forehead.

"No, ha ha," he giggled at your concern, "I'd just like to get away for a few moments," he reassured, taking your hand into his. "Are you alright with that?" he squeezed it, wanting to ensure you wished to come along.

"I don't mind at all," you took him up on his offer, glancing down at your hands. A normal occurrence within your... friendship, but it still gives you hopeful butterflies.

"Actually, I was beginning to grow a tad overwhelmed, so I'm quite glad you offered," you smiled. He returned it with a nod of understanding.

"Good timing, I suppose. Off we go, then," he hummed, gently pulling you along to the front door, the two of you slipping away unnoticed.

The temperature outside was a little cool for the summer, but it was tolerable. The sky was clear and bright with stars, crickets playing their sounds while muffled chatter came from Julie's house.

You walked at a slow, lazy pace next to Wally, sucking in a deep breath of the fresh air.

"So," you began, your voice soft, "is there really no reason you wanted to get away?" You questioned, looking over at Wally. "You're not usually one to leave to need a break from people," you chuckled.

"Everything is okay, right?"

Wally hummed softly, gently swinging your hands. You had forgotten they were still interlocked.

"I am. Especially with you around, neighbour," he reassured, giving you another gentle squeeze. "I just wanted to spend more one-on-one time with you," he added, smiling.

"Things were getting pretty hectic in there, and you did seem like you maybe needed a break... I assumed it would benefit us both to come out here,"

"Thanks, then," you murmured, peering down at your feet to try to hide your embarrassment, "I appreciate you looking out for me," you said. "Do you want to do anything specific, or are you just in a walking mood?"

"Well," he slowed his pace until he stopped, you doing the same. Your hands wouldn't have allowed you to go much further, anyways.

"Why don't we watch the stars?" He suggested.
You stared at him incredulously.

"... Right here?" You giggled. You looked down at the road under your feet, eyes then returning to his.

"Why not?" He grinned. He released his hold on you, plopping right down on the ground and laying back.

"Join me?"

You stood there for a moment, staring down at him as he patted the space next to his body. What had gotten into him tonight? You blew out a soft chuckle, shaking your head. Nonetheless, you sat beside him.

You settled down on the ground, your stomach facing up. Your hands served as a pillow under your head, cushioning it from the pavement.

Your lungs filled with the fresh, damp summer air, as you let your eyelids fall shut. Bugs continued to sing their chorus into the night, the muffled sound of distant laughter coming from the bustling house the two of you had just escaped.