late night confessions

The phone ringing late at night allows opportunity to come knocking.

"Hello?"

Who was it calling him at this time of night? Isn't everyone usually asleep by now? Was something wrong?

"Hi,"

Your voice emitted softly through Wally's phone.

... Oh?

"... Are you alright?" Wally quizzed, holding his handset between his shoulder and ear. He picked up the base of it, twisting his torso to get a glimpse at the clock. "It's late," he mumbled, grasping the phone back in his hand.

"I'm sorry,"

"I don't mind in the slightest," he soothed your worries. You went quiet, but Wally gave you the time. He didn't mind waiting for you. A few moments later, you spoke again.

"... I couldn't sleep," you admitted.

"Ha ha, I think I know how that feels," Wally jested, earning a giggle from you. The corners of his lips subconsciously tugged upwards a little more at the pleasant sound.

"I suppose I shouldn't be one to speak, huh? That was insensitive," you chuckled, apologizing.

"I don't mind, I'm quite used to it." He reassured, "What keeps you up though, neighbour?"

Silence fell, until there was a bit of shuffling from your side of the line.

"I'm not entirely sure," you sighed, seeming distressed. "I just... maybe my brain is being too loud, tonight."

"Is there something on your mind you'd like to speak about?" Wally took a seat on his arm chair, left leg crossing over top of the right. The phone base rested on his knee, now, his free hand toying with the line.

"I..." your voice trailed off, "I'm not sure, honestly," you grumbled. "I think..."

"I think I just wanted to hear your voice,"

Wally gaped, eyes widening.

His voice?

He was flattered to hear that. Especially coming from you.

"Wally?"

You chuckled softly, "sorry, that was probably a strange thing to say, wasn't it?"

"Not at all," he spoke quickly. "I'm honoured to hear you say that, neighbour,"

"Okay," you murmured.

It went quiet again. Wally picked at a loose thread on the arm of the chair, trying to figure out what to say next.

"Would you mind..."

He paused his movements. Seems you beat him to it. He waited patiently for you to finish your sentence.

"Would you mind, just... talking?" You requested shyly.

His smile grew a little wider. You'd called him, just to hear his voice? His belly twisted with glee.

"Hmm..."

Wally thought for a minute, wracking his brain for anything interesting. "Would you like me to talk about anything in particular?"

"Anything,"

"Anything..." Wally repeated, humming. His thoughts drifted back to what Eddie and Frank had told him the other day...

"Simply and utterly, I've run out of ways for you to drop hints," Frank admitted, rubbing his temples.