Oath

A year had passed since we had managed to save Hannah and Richy.
MWAF had kept him alive although in poor condition. He was urgently hospitalized.
For Hannah, she still had to go to therapy and consult with lawyers and police officers about her situation in the reckless murder of Jennifer Hanson.

All of that made me open my eyes and leave my job where the only thing my boss did was exploit me. I yelled four things at him and left.

I decided to go to Duskwood, live there with my friends and help Hannah recover.I got a job in the library, surrounded by so many interesting books... And that Jessy was grateful because she knew that she could trust me to offer information.

I came to live in Duskwood because of Jake. I was sure that he would have liked to be there with her sister and help her, but by helping us in the last moments I told him to run away so he wouldn't be found, cutting off any connection with all of us.

As far as I'm concerned, I didn't mind. The last message I got from him was that he was in a safe place. There were no more messages after that.

Well, okay, maybe I was a little sad about not getting texts from him, but I wasn't going to stay like my friends weren't important either.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dan
Would you like to go to the Aurora tonight?

Cleo
You're kidding?
Phil still forbids us from going

Dan
But maybe our little detective will let us sneak in.

MC
Being a friend of the owner doesn't mean that I can easily take you

Richy
In addition to the fact that she herself made the sign that Thomas and Cleo are prohibited from entering 😬

MC
Sorry guys, at first I thought it was a joke 😅
I never thought he was really going to hang it

Thomas
Don't worry MC.
Besides, tonight I was thinking of meeting up at Hannah's.

Jessy
When do you think she can get into the group?

Thomas
She is still affected, but she has already started to have a little normal life
At least I know she has a group chat with Lilly and MC.

Cleo
And how do you see her, MC?

MC
Good, well...As far as it goes, it seems that she is doing a little better
These things aren't quick to bounce back

Jessy
😔​

Richy
You don't have to say it
It was good that at least we were together at that time

MC
You were brave both 🙂

Richy
Thanks MC😁

Dan
And what about the virtual criminal?

Jessy
DAN! 😠

Richy
Dan!

Cleo
Dan 🤦

Thomas
Dan...

MC
Calm down guys, I'm fine 😅
Nothing yet
But as long as he's okay, we don't have to worry.

Jessy
But leaving you alone...
😕

MC
I'm not alone
I have you guys 😄

Cleo
😊

Richy
And that makes our "favorite" womanizer have a free hand 🤨

Thomas
I don't think that will happen

Jessy
At least if we leave Phil alone with MC for a long time 😳
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just then, in the group with Lilly and Hannah, we received an image of the Duskwood map.
Exactly a specific place.
I keep looking at the picture. It doesn't come from who it is.Lilly's text makes me react.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lilly
MC!

MC
Yes, I see it

Hannah
But what is?

MC
I think I know

Lilly
Do you think it's Jake?

Hannah
It has to be him
Who else could send this to us without a profile?
But this part of the map...

MC
It's the church
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had seen too much of that map to know where it was.
I smile. Maybe there is something in there for us.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hannah
Then we have to go!

Lilly
What if it's not him?
What if is someone wanting to set a trap for us?

MC
Well, we have to take a risk
I plan to go

Hannah
Me too

Lilly
God...
I guess I'll have to go because I can't leave you girls alone...

MC
See you there

Hannah
See you later, MC

Lilly
Please don't be late
I want us to be together...

MC
I will not be late
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luckily, it was break time.
I grabbed my jacket and bag, walking out of the library and putting up the sign that we'll be back open in half an hour.
I was hoping it wouldn't be too long, I don't want to be fired either. Lucky it was close.

Near the church Lilly and Hannah were waiting for me. When I saw them, I gave them a big hug like it had been a long time since we'd seen each other.
We were a disaster, the three of us together.
    "So we have to go in?" Lilly asks, looking carefully around.
    "Jake may not be here, but at the same time, he may have left us something." Hannah gazes determinedly at the church.
    "I agree, since he wouldn't want to put us in danger," I say, clutching my bag tightly.
    "Then let's go..." Lilly takes our hands, like a scared little girl.
     I understood it. It was too hopeful to think this way and then give ourselves a reality check and get into trouble.

There was no one inside the church. Totally silent.
We walked down the long hall, the smell of incense accompanying us. There must have been a Mass earlier.
But what exactly were we looking for?
We began to look through the benches in the background, each time going further forward. But nothing.
    "Now what?" Hannah asks, crossing her arms sadly.
    "Maybe it was a joke if we haven't been caught by now." Lilly seemed more upset, seeing how her older sister had been disappointed that she hadn't found any clues about her brother.
     I decide to go to the big table at front of us. It was the only place we had not yet examined.Below it were three small boxes with our names. My heart began to beat fast.
    "Hannah, Lilly! Here!" I yell, picking up the small objects.
They approached and I gave them each theirs.

Opening them revealed some small SD cards and a set of headphones. Typical of his puzzles.
    "I guess there's something that wants us to hear or see what's in it," Lilly guessed.
    << Please, don't let it be a farewell audio.... >>

     I sit away from them, wanting some privacy if I wanted to see Jake. But will it be a video? Will it have his voice or will it be distorted?
I had never heard what it sounded like before and was curious to know.
I put the card in the mobile, waiting for him to read it.

It contained an audio. Well, it was to be expected.
I put on my headphones and, with my finger trembling, I press the audio. Preparing myself for the worst.

    "Hey, um... Wow, I'm bad at this..." The audio starts and I laugh as I listen to him speak. It didn't have the distortion. His voice was clear and mature, but he seemed nervous. "I never thought I'd record an audio with my voice, so I hope you don't laugh." Too late "You must imagine that this must be a farewell audio, but it's not" I notice the audio a bit strange, there seemed to be a background echo "MC, I just wanted to thank you for all you have done. Yes again. I don't think I'll ever know how to thank you."

     I try to control myself, but the tears that come to me are of happiness. I feel important. Not because he has to tell me, because I've come a long way in having courage with myself as well.
    "Surely you must be angry that it wasn't a video, but I had my reasons for not making one. And also because you don't deserve it, didn't I tell you not to go to Duskwood?" He makes me laugh. I broke his promise, but he never said that I couldn't come after finding Hannah, it was a hole in his promise. "I suppose I can forgive you, but for this time."

     I close my eyes, feeling calmer. Hearing him makes me happy.
I take the mobile to my chest, continuing to listen.
    "I'm trying to find a way to see you, but for now, I guess I'll just have to wait." I don't care... I don't care because I know you're okay, Jake... "I wish I could see you, sitting there in the church, listening to the audio for you" I open my eyes nervously, looking around, does he suppose or is he looking at me? Is here?
     I check my mobile, noting how much audio I have left. It doesn't put it on.
    "What the..."
     I don't move. I stare at the phone in surprise. Do you mean...
    "But who knows?" The echo... sounds very clear... or is it just the headphones? "Maybe I'm right where I need to be now."

     I feel as if someone breathed on my neck, just at the same time those words sounded.I'm shaking...I can't control myself...
    "It's not my imagination, is it?" I ask, my voice cracking. "Please tell me it's not my imagination."
     I reach my hands to the headphones to take them off and hands hold mine as if helping me take them off. Electricity runs through my entire body.
    "Depends on what you think at this moment," says the same voice on the audio.
     I turn and see a man with dark hair and a tired look. But he smiles for me. I've never seen him and even so, I can quickly identify him.
    "Glad to meet you in person, MC," Jake says to me, very slowly, leaning against the bench.
    "I could say the same, Jake." I wipe my tears, smiling back at him. "But what are you doing here?" I thought you were running away. "
    "I've been keeping you guys hanging around Paris for a while." He winks at me mockingly and I laugh. "Besides, I wanted to come even for a little while to see my sisters."
    "I understand. "
     I find it normal. I look over at Hannah and Lilly who are looking at us and smiling.
Wait... They don't seem surprised... Did they know all this time?
I look at them angrily and then at Jake.
    "I can't believe it... "
    "Don't get mad-"
    "I'm not mad, more like I'm surprised."
    "That's not what your expression says."
     This is what I get for trusting a family that loves to keep secrets.

Jake takes my hand and strokes it. Great... I can't get mad now.
I blush and so does he. Giving me a look that made me embarrassed, it seemed like she was admiring something.
    "I've dreamed for a long time of being able to see you and hold your hand..."
     My face burns when he says that. Aah... Please... Let this really be real...
    "Me too..." I whispered, looking down.
    "MC, I may not be in Duskwood for long" I look up, scared of losing him again now that he's here ", but if I didn't tell you now, then I wouldn't know when" I nod with a lump in my throat ": No matter how far away I am or how long it takes to get back to your side, I want you to know that there will be no one I want to spend the rest of my life with."
     I can't stop shaking and Jake sees it, grabs my other hand and tries to calm me down by circling the backs of my hands with his thumbs.

The sound of my crying rings through the whole church.
    "You can't tell me this to give me false hope..." I say, though it's hard for me to speak, "You just can't..."
    "It's not false hope." I look into his eyes. Yes, he is being sincere, but what can I do if I know that I will be waiting for him again, without knowing a single word about him? I lied when I said I was fine without him. I'm not "I will always come back. I swear to you. "
    "Swearing is a very personal thing, Jake..."
    "That's why I do it." He rests her forehead against mine. We are so close... Can you hear my heart? ", you are so important that for you I would give my life."
     A sigh escapes me and I hear him laugh. I can't help it, those words make me emotional.
As if both of us were thinking about it at the same time, we slowly get closer until we kiss.

It's an awkward kiss at first, but as we continue, he becomes confident and brings his hand to my cheek, caressing it lovingly.
The lump goes away and I feel much better than before.We don't even realize how long we've lasted if it wasn't for Lilly.
    "Guys, you remember you're in a church, right?" she asks us, from across the benches.
     We break apart and I hide my face leaning on her shoulder, embarrassed.
We break apart and I hide my face leaning on his shoulder, embarrassed.
    "Lilly, it's not cool to interrupt them," Hannah says, and I hear her giggle a little.
    "I asked for your help, but there was no need to break the moment," Jake sounds annoyed as he strokes my hair.
    "You would have thanked us after nine months if we hadn't stopped you," Lilly continues jokingly.
    "Lilly!" Jake and I shout at the same time, and both sisters laugh.

     Jake looks at me and I see how he smiles shyly.I give him a small kiss on the lips and hug him, dropping to my knees on the bench.
    "I'm glad you're here... "
    "I'm glad too."
     He hugs me tightly, as if he doesn't want to let me go.

With this oath, it is enough for me to be happy. If he'll always come back to me, then waiting won't matter to me.