CHAPTER 24

~Keegan

We had won the case. Alana, actually. Her father was taken away thrashing and cursing on all of us, including the judge. He kept shouting about how much he was going to ruin us and all, even though we already ruined him.

I was supposed to feel satisfied. Happy and relieved even, but I felt nothing. I felt like I was at a loss.

It's been a few days since I saw Theo's plane ticket and flipped on him. I had gone to his place to see him and found him on the phone with his aunt, confirming his leave.

He hadn't called or tried to look for me after the incident with the car. And yet people had started asking questions and snooping around, Alana's father also tried to use that information against me in court but it was of no use. He wasn't against me, he was against his daughter and solid evidence.

Theo was leaving in a few hours today.

I didn't even hear, Alana, thank me after the hearing, my mind was not there.

Shayne took me back to my place afterward, accompanied by Millie. I was tired, I didn't want company but they insisted on staying, most especially because of the issue with Theo. They knew he was leaving and that I was hurting.

I hadn't tried to contact my mom...or dad after my confession the other night. My mom was left so speechless, it was an opening for me to leave. Even I didn't believe what I said to her. I had promised myself not to ever speak of that night but lately, all these triggers had made it almost impossible. Glimpses had been pouring on me. My dad was frustrated, he tried to stop me but I was already in Shayne's car, heading to Theo's. But I knew he had been in and out of the station, trying to study the buried case in secret.

For me, my luck with Theo that night was terrible. He was calm but only because he had already planned his leave. I was even more angry because he thought he was out of control in the morning, that he almost ran me over, and that it was not good for me to be around him.

I knew what he was insinuating. He thought he was becoming his father.

I understood why he did what he did, the news had messed him up, but he was not like his father. And even after I told him I was okay, I looked into his eyes and knew I hadn't convinced him not to leave. And he still thought he was unstable.

I cursed the news leak every day for ruining him. For ruining me. Now he thinks he's like his dad. The news had made him crazy.

I wanted him to be fine, so I let him do whatever he wanted even if he hurt me. I tried to make sure he didn't think of himself as his father, and that he didn't think his father was right about him.

...Monsters can't hide their claws for long, but you, Theo, don't show any claws...because you don't have any...

Those were the last words I left him with.

Until today.

He was leaving. He was still leaving and I was angry at him for it.

I didn't go see him, call him, text him bid him goodbye, or farewell. Mostly because I was angry and didn't want him to leave.

He never sought me out too.

He was supposed to leave way earlier than today but for some reason, he had stayed longer. I didn't bother asking why. I hoped he would change his mind and want to stay with me but of course...he was still leaving.

I didn't beg him to stay anymore because I couldn't be the only one fighting for this. It was wearing me out. Even though I didn't have enough fight in me left, I was ready to fight with him. Now, that he was hell-bent on leaving, there was no point anymore.