D E T E R R E N T

Following the rules should be easy

Following the rules should be easy. It's done every day. Driving the speed limit, using crosswalks, purchasing biomechanic parts for liscenced retailers, and throwing trash in garbage cans are all simple tasks. Yet somehow, people still need guidance on how to adhere to the law.

In Neo Elysium, there is no punishment. No one ever knowingly does evil. When convicted, some criminals are required to take classes so they know what wrong thing they have done. Others are required to take medications to control impulses, for they may know evil but they aren't doing it intentionally. For the particularly challenged, the courts can require stays in medical facilities where both medications and classes can be taken in conjunction.

Medical facilities are expensive to run, and one way to teach people and control their impulses is to remove them. A pilot program has emerged in Neo Elysium. Some selected young offenders can divert from these programs into community service programs. Sent to farms in the far North of Marcanty, these young people will learn the value of hard-work and obedience.

And maybe a couple of other things.

Playlist

Rhinestone Eyes by Gorillaz

It reverberates in my lungs
In factories far away

disco tits by Tove Lo

I sweat from head to toe
I'm wet through all my clothes

Left Behind by grandson

Maybe they would listen to me one time
If I died on the front line

Dedications

thesarcasticfellow, cryptidminds, -venusvintage, ceaseless-watchr, captain_sharrie, blythering, ladyqueenish, and all of the other people who have read anything I've ever written, even if it was just a grocery list.

Also, sorry if you were included and didn't want to be or if you were missed! I'm happy to have everyone here!