Chapter 7... Searching

We searched for hours, for days. He was gone.

I felt like crap. My brother had disappeared into thin air, not knowing his powers, and still unable to properly fend for himself.

"We will find him." Freya reassured me. I nodded. I couldn't speak at the moment.

Kratos and Atreus came in from searching.

"We looked everywhere we could think of." Said Atreus.

"Ay. It's as if he vanished into thin air." Added Mimir.

"This is all my fault."

"Do not blame yourself. You did the best you could." Kratos tried to reassure me. It was nice to hear him try. I just wasn't in the place to accept it.

"Did I? I yelled at him and was not as understanding as I should have been."

"You were more than understanding." He replied. I rubbed my face.

"What now?" Atreus asked. I shrugged.

"I really don't know."

*****

"You lost him? How could you lose him!"

My dreams- my nightmares continued. This time I yelled at myself for losing my brother. "You had one job and failed!"

"I tried-"

"No, you didn't or he would be here!"

"Stop. Leave me alone."

"If he dies, it's on you!"

"Please..." I begged.

"It's all your fault! You failed our mother, our family! All you had to do was keep him alive!"

She pushed me back into the darkness. So this time I could drown in it.

I gasped. Kratos turned to me. He put his hand on my back. It felt hot but calming. Tears started up as I tried to speak. "I lost him," I whispered. "After finding him, I lost him."

"We will find him again."

"I failed him. I failed my mother. She entrusted him to me."

"We will all fail at one point or another. But we must get up if we want to succeed."

"Yes..."

"We will find him, and you will get the chance to try again with him." His words were comforting.

"Yes. I believe that. What now?"

"Rest and try again in the morning."

*****

The morning was not a peaceful time. I cleaned myself up for the day, I constantly thought back to what could have happened to him.

A knock on the door interrupted my thoughts. "Come in."

"Hi, (y/n)." Atreus greeted me. "Are you ready?"

"Yes. I've been thinking of a plan. Where's your father?"

"Outside. We're ready when you are!"

Stepping outside. Freya and Kratos talked. Well, Freya talked and Kratos listened.

"Good morning." I said. They greeted me.

"(Y/n), we have searched almost all of the woods. Is there anywhere else you think he could be?" Asked Freya.

"No. But I was thinking maybe it was time we broadened our search. Split into groups."

"What are the groups?"

"I'm not sure yet."

"If it is alright with Kratos, Atreus and I can form a group, while you, Kratos, and Mimir form the other." Kratos nodded.

"Okay, then that's that." I replied. Freya pulled out a map of Midgard. We picked out our areas and started the search once again.

Kratos and I had searched the beach.

The same beach we had come to days before any of this had happened.

"Who would have known days ago our last peaceful moments would be here." I felt a bit sick to my stomach. He wouldn't be able to make it out of Midgard, so where could he have gone?

"I was thinking it may be possible by now he has used his powers. I do not know how fast he would learn to control them, but if he could he would be able to move places would not be able to."

"Oh. Such as?" Asked Mimir.

"Across water, up trees, underground. From stories, the god of darkness was always able to make it a solid tool. Bridging paths or striking enemies. We have already seen him kill a draugr."

"I am still shocked by that!"

"In the time that has passed, he may have crossed water multiple times."

"Hm. We could get the boat and cross the water." Suggested Kratos.

I nodded. "We should."

Turning back we heard rustling in the bushes. I hoped it was my brother but expected a draugr.

It was neither.

To be continued...