Germany's trauma

forgive my historical inaccuracies, it makes for a better story

America wiped the sweat out of his eyes. "We've won."

UK nodded gravely. "Looks like it."

"But at what cost?" France asked, looking down at the bodies covering the field.

"Doesn't matter. Victory must be assured at all costs." replied the Soviet Union, arms crossed. As France berated him for having the most casualties out of all of them, something hit America.

"Hey, I'm going to go check on our good buddy Reich." he said, placing a hand on his father's shoulder. His father nodded as Soviet's glance flicked over to them. 

"Don't think you're going without me. He's my ex-ally." Soviet said, ignoring France's protests. America sighed and motioned for Soviet to come with him.

"I'll call you when we get there." America called to his parents.

After much tapping of feet, France's phone rang. She picked it up and anxiously pressed the speaker button. "Reich is dead, and his son is having a panic attack."

They scrambled through the deserted hallways of Reich's bunker, heading for his office after having found a map.

UK burst open the door and ran to Reich's body to investigate, while France ran to comfort the hyperventilating child as America tried unsuccessfully to get him to calm down. "I'll take it from here." America nodded and headed to join the other two's discussion.

"Are you okay?" France asked, crouching down. "What's your name?"

"Germany..." was the only thing he said before cracks started appearing on his face. The sight of them in the mirror across the room made him breathe even faster. More and more cracks appeared until white was visible underneath them.

"Guys...?" France asked as the child turned fully glowing white. This caught everyone's attention as the child split into two.

One of them blinked up at Soviet, while the other blinked up at France. "I'll take responsibility for this one." he said immediately.

France nodded while America's eyes narrowed at Soviet's sudden eagerness to take on parenting. He never had liked his own children.

"Alright, we'll take this one. How does the Federal Republic of Germany sound, or West Germany for short?" The child nodded happily,  seemingly unaware of his gruesome surroundings and father/older brother's fate. This was helped, of course, by France, and at a silent nod of hers, America, positioning themselves so he couldn't see the body.

His brother, who UK later told them had been christened the German Democratic Republic, or East Germany, was granted no such kindness by his new father. He gaped, eyes widening in shock at the scene in front of him.

West Germany was chatting cheerfully with France while East was being threatened by Soviet. "Me and my new son," he said, clapping a hand on East Germany's shoulder and somehow making the word "son" sound threatening at the same time, "will be leaving."

They departed, and France had to tearfully hold West Germany back from running out the door after his brother.

"So... did you just sign me up for parenthood?" UK asked. "Because this one alone is a handful enough." he said, gesturing to America.

America flinched slightly but brushed it off and rolled his eyes, opening his mouth for a comeback. 

France sighed, getting ready for another round of mediating between her son and his father.