69.

Xenia Butler

Of course, I had gotten the numbers mixed up a few times. After spending almost twelve minutes in that dark hole, my mind was a mess. It took me another two minutes to remember those stupid numbers. Xenia never had trouble remembering. But with the tension as high as Romano's diplomacy, all I could think about was why Ivan was here today and where Joe was.

In the end, it was worth it. When I heard those gunshots, I knew the backup plan had worked. But I didn't wait for Romano to come get me. My curiosity overwhelmed my sense of safety. All I wanted was to find my sister.

Something still felt wrong with the people here. If Morelli survived, and he probably would, I was still in danger. I didn't want to be in danger. I didn't want to keep running from this awful situation with the TIF... with Romano and his wife. I wanted to move freely, without having to clear my tracks, without constantly looking over my shoulder. I wanted to be a true butterfly.

Bravery grabbed me by the neck and started to lead me through the walls, whispering how much I was under control.

Romano had mentioned a link to Emilia's bedroom, and I had spent the last five minutes trying to find the way. My eyes felt like hands, practically seeing for me. I had bumped into the walls a few times, but I knew I was heading somewhere. Stopping halfway would be worse than not moving at all.

The brick walls were cool, and sometimes I leaned my head against them to calm my nerves and quiet my mind, burning with thoughts of my sister's whereabouts.

The telecom had a red light blinking, making it easier to spot. I shouldn't have been expecting another signal, a light of sorts telling me I was at the end of the tunnel. But hoping was easier than working hard.

My tunnel was so dark, and any light I hoped to find at the end was impossible. The worst scenarios always seemed to find me; how could I forget that simple rule?

Warm tears stung my eyes—tears born from unfamiliarity, inexperience, and cluelessness.

The new reality I was forced to accept was taking its toll on me. Lying, breathing with a gun to my head, playing deadly games, and barely escaping death only to end up in a more dangerous place... I had a story to tell.

People needed to hear how the girl who barely left the kitchen had more or less saved the mafia, even if I didn't owe them much of my story. It was an 'awesome' moment, but gloating was the last thing on my mind. Finding my sister was my top priority. And to do that, I had to overcome my fear of dark places.

Taking quick, steadying breaths against the wall, I started to follow my instincts. I retraced my steps a bit and turned left instead.

After walking for another minute, my palm slid from the rough brick walls to smooth oak.

A door.

It alerted me with a creak, but the breath of relief still caught in my throat.

Not yet, my subconscious warned. My presence here was just as dangerous as in that study. The only difference was there wasn't a gun so close, which made me less terrified but more hesitant—because Romano wasn't nearby with his possessive and protective stance.

I searched the oak for a knob and tugged it, the sound of the door peeling open welcoming me into the room.

It was unnervingly warm, or maybe I'd just gotten too used to the cold and the smell of concrete.

Step by step, I edged hesitantly into the clean bedroom with closed blinds. My first thought was to check the windows. Separating the blinds in the middle, I peeked out.