Welcome to Tokyo

Another night. Another race. Another breath of life in the Tokyo underground. The neon lights of the streets illuminated the city and there was a sense of rush throughout the air. Modded cars, booming music, players playing and scantily clad girls as far as the eye could see. It was a pretty standard scene in the world of drifting.

Han breathed it in as he leaned against his Mazda RX-7. He popped a Ritz Bitz into his mouth. It was about the only thing he could use to keep his mouth busy ever since he stopped smoking. He had a girl attached to both arms, as loud rap music blasted all around the suddenly occupied strip of road that was due to be resurfaced and had been closed for the next few days. That didn't stop the drifters though.

The team were all together. Sean and Neela were making eyes at one another, while Earl and Reiko were bickering about - what else? - cars and graphics. Nobody got involved in their spats. They'd be friends again in an hour and fighting again in two. Twinkie bounced up onto the hood of Han's Mazda focusing on an opaque Motorola Razr in his hand.

"If I wanted my car waxed I'd take it to the car shine," Han simply said as he popped another Ritz Bitz.

Needing no further admonishment the African-American teen slid down from the hood shoving the cell phone into the pocket of his baggy jeans just as a drifter blew past the finish line and a cheer rose up around him. A bunch of people rushed the winner's car as he climbed out, arms spread in a triumphant stance. The rest of the team hung back, watching in amusement as the race patrons worshipped the winner.

"I'm out two-hundred G's." Twinkie rubbed a hand over the white do-rag on his head. "I ain't livin' this one down."

"You should know better than to bet against a sure thing," Han told him.

"And you couldn't have told me that a half hour ago?" replied Twinkie. It was no major biggie though; he'd make up the money hustling imported pre-owned goods to his Japanese classmates.

Wrapped in Sean's arms Neela gazed up at her boyfriend. "You're not racing tonight?" she asked him.

Sean was about to reply when the harsh squeal of brakes cut through the air, hijacking the team's attention from their various points of focus. A black and red Honda NSX was gracefully winding through the people and cars, swerving effortlessly in and out along the closed-off highway. He leaned forward to get a better look and when he saw the sleek car let out a low whistle.

"Sweet wheels."

"New drifter?" wondered Twinkie as the car drew ever closer.

Neela could barely see the driver through the tinted windshield, but as the car came closer and did the most perfect doughnut she'd ever seen, she knew right away who the mystery driver was. "I don't believe it," she said quietly.

Sean glanced at his girlfriend. "You know this guy?" he asked.

Neela only bit on her bottom lip and smiled as the driver of the Honda, its engine purring like a kitten, slowed to a flawless emergency stop mere meters away from where they all stood.

"Whoever he is, mad skills. Mad," Earl piped up. Beside him Reiko nodded her head in agreement, closing the lid on the laptop that never left her side.

The door to the Honda opened and a long leather-clad leg disappearing into a knee-high boot made contact with the concrete. It was hard not to sit up and take notice at that point. The boots were black leather with polished silver toes and stiletto heels. Neela's smile grew wider. She'd recognize those boots anywhere. The rest of their owner slid out and shook back waves of golden brown hair, fixing her pale hazel gaze upon Neela.