Chapter 5: The Oak Tree

"Do you know how to climb a tree?" Beca suddenly asked.

"I used to climb trees when I was a kid. Why?"

"Would you mind coming with me. I want to show you something." She smiled at me.

"Sure, let's go!" I smiled back.

She then jumped from her sleeping bag and grab my hand. The butterflies are back in my stomach.

She pulled me out of the building into nowhere with a flashlight. Until a big oak tree was in front of us.

She turned to me with a big smile on her face, "Are you ready?"

I gave her a big genuin smile then nodded. She then climed up first and just sat there. She patted beside her signaling me to go sit with her.

I tried climbing the tree, but it was really hard. She noticed my struggle so she went down and gave me a hand. I'm surprised. She maybe tiny, but she is strong.

"Everytime I'm looking for peace I come here. When I'm really pissed or mad I just sit here and close my eyes." It was very quiet indeed.

"The view from up here is also nice you know?" She said.

"Yes it is." You could see Barden from here.

"So who's the girl?" She suddenly asked. That question again.

"Why do you need to know? Again, out of the line, Beca."

"Oh come one. Okay, just the first letter of her name." She glared at me.

"R." I answered. Referring to her real name, Rebeca.

She looked disappointed then cracked a smile. I don't understand why. Is she talking to someone who likes me or something? Does she like me? Of course not she loves Jesse.

We were both silent for a moment. Just looking at the view.

"What did I do that night?" I asked without looking at her.

"Which night?"

"The night I got drunk."

"You just puked at me." She said with a frown. I need to know what really happened, and I'm sure Beca will never tell me.

"You're the only one who wasn't drunk?" I chuckled.

"Nope, Amy too. She was the one who brought you to your room. I mean I can't with my tiny body, so I asked for her help." Amy! I'll ask Amy.

"Really? That's a surprise." Fat Amy is usually the one to get drunk first.

"Well, she didn't drink that night. I don't really know why, but I saw her with Bumper." Fat Amy and Bumper?

"Fat Amy and Bumper?" I laughed.

"Why? They look cute together!" Cute. Really Beca? That's the first time I heard you say that.

"Yeah they do."

Beca placed her head on my shoulder which made my whole body shiver. "Look at the stars. They're so beautiful." She said. Beca, you don't need to look up to the sky to see a beautiful star. Just look at the mirror and you'll see the prettiest and brightest star.

Wait that's so cheesy, woah.

"So this where you and Jesse make out, huh?" I smirked.

"No, this is where I go when we have a fight. You're the only one who knows this place, and the only one allowed." She trusted me like that.

She sat straight then looked at me, "I-I mean you consider me as your best friend right? Besides Amy, you're also a best friend to me."

Just a best friend. No, Beca, you're not my best friend. You're more than that. I have loved you for 3 years and I will always love you.

"Yeah, you are my best friend." I smiled at her hoping she won't notice that it's fake. She smiled back, which mean she didn't.

She brought out a sharpie from her pocket. "Beca and chloe? Shall I write that?"

"You know you can't use a sharpie to write on a tree." I laughed.

"I know. I just wanted to make you laugh." She laughed with me.

She's so silly

She brought out a small knife. There it is she's going to carve it. She started carving our name at the trunk beside the branch we're sitting on.

I don't want her to carve it. It will stay there for a very long time which will make it harder for me to let her go.

Beca and Chloe's. "Now we own this tree." She smiled

"Wait, should I write Aubrey? She might get jealous." We both laughed that Aubrey will really get jelouse when she sees this.

"Wait right here!" Beca quickly went down the tree and went somewhere.

As Beca was gone I looked at our names carved on the tree. I felt tears rolling down my eyes. The 'Beca and Chloe' for me is different from hers. I made it clear to me that there will never be an 'us'

We will just always be friends. Nothing more. But the way she made me feel tonight, just made things harder. Harder to let go.