Chapter 1: Lost Memories

The sunlight streamed through the sheer curtains, casting a soft glow on the unfamiliar room. Blinking my eyes open, I found myself lying in a bed, surrounded by medical equipment and sterile white walls. Confusion washed over me as I struggled to grasp my surroundings, a sense of disorientation enveloping my thoughts.

I sat up, my head pounding with a dull ache. The room felt both strange and strangely familiar at the same time. Flashes of memories, like fragments of a dream, flickered in the depths of my mind, but they remained just out of reach, leaving me grasping at the edges of my own identity.

I swung my legs over the edge of the bed and gingerly stood up, the cool linoleum floor sending a shiver through my bare feet. My eyes scanned the room, searching for answers that seemed to elude me. How did I end up here?

As I shuffled towards the mirror hanging on the wall, a gasp escaped my lips. Staring back at me was a face that I recognized, and yet it felt like a stranger's. My features were familiar, but there was a certain sparkle in my eyes, a vibrancy that was missing, as if a part of me had been stolen.

A knock on the door interrupted my self-reflection, and before I could respond, it swung open, revealing two figures. My heart skipped a beat as I recognized them as my parents. Their faces were etched with worry and fatigue, lines of concern etching deeper into their once-smooth skin.

"Hija! Marinelle, you're awake!" my mother exclaimed, her voice laced with both relief and concern. "We've been waiting for this moment. Salamat naman sa Panginoon at nagising ka na"

"Mom, Dad," I called out, my voice hoarse from days of disuse. "What happened? How long have I been out?"

My father, a strong and stern man, spoke up first. "You've been in a coma for two weeks anak."

Wait? What? Coma for two weeks?

I frowned, trying to remember what had happened to me.Hindi ko talaga maalala paano ko napunta sa ganitong sitwasyon. "What caused it? Why am I here? Kailan nangyari?"

My mother spoke up, her voice soft and comforting. "You were in a car accident, sweetie. But don't worry, you're safe now."

I nodded slowly, still trying to process what they were saying. But then, I remembered something else.

"Where's Greg?" I asked, feeling a sense of panic rising within me. "Is he okay?" Alam kong kasama ko siya sa aksidente. Hindi lang ako yung naaksidente kaya I need to check on him.

Both my parents' expressions darkened at the mention of Greg's name, and my father spoke again. "Greg is fine, Marinelle. But he's not here, and he won't be coming to see you. He's recovering on his own."

Confused, I looked at my parents, trying to understand why they would say such a thing. But before I could ask them any more questions, the door to my room opened and in walked Greg.

He looked battered and bruised, his face showing signs of the accident that we had both been in. But despite his injuries, he had a determined look on his face as he walked towards me.

"Marinelle," he said, his voice filled with emotion. "Thank God you're awake. I've been so worried about you."

Greg looks at me with an expression of sadness and regret as he steps closer to me. I can't help but feel a sense of familiarity with him, yet I can't seem to put my finger on it.

"Marinelle, how are you feeling?" he asks with a soft voice.

"I'm doing okay, I guess. Just a bit confused," I reply, trying to sound upbeat.