Chapter 5: Slowly Remembering

As days turned into weeks, and weeks into months, my encounters with Greg became more frequent. Each time we met, there was an undeniable sense of familiarity lingering between us, as if our souls were dancing to a tune only we could hear. I couldn't shake the feeling that there was so much more to our connection, buried beneath the layers of forgotten memories.

One sunny afternoon, I found myself sitting with Greg at a quaint cafe near the hospital. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee wafted through the air, creating an atmosphere of warmth and comfort. As we sipped our drinks, laughter spilled effortlessly from our lips, painting the scene with an air of ease and friendship.

"So, Greg," I teased playfully, a mischievous glint in my eyes. "Do you ever work, or are you just a permanent fixture in this hospital? Ganyan ba talaga kapag walang pangarap sa buhay? Patambay-tambay lang at some random hospital?"

He chuckled, his eyes crinkling with amusement. "Oh, Marinelle, you caught me. I confess, I've become quite the wanderer, always finding myself drawn to this place. Perhaps I'm secretly hoping you'll forget about your work and entertain me instead." Sabay puppy eyes pa. Not gonna lie, cute siya dun in all fairness ha.

His words held a hint of truth masked by lighthearted banter. I couldn't help but wonder if there was a deeper reason behind his constant presence, an unspoken desire to protect me from the truth of our shared past.

As our conversation continued, I found myself navigating through a maze of memories that flickered at the edges of my consciousness. Images flashed before me like fragments of a puzzle waiting to be assembled, snippets of laughter, stolen glances, and whispered promises.

With each passing moment, the barriers holding back my recollection weakened, allowing glimpses of our shared history to seep into my present reality.

In the midst of our lighthearted banter, a particular image from my fragmented memories surfaced with unexpected clarity. It was a scene bathed in the golden hues of a setting sun, the gentle breeze carrying the scent of blooming flowers. Greg and I stood side by side, our fingers interlaced, as we watched the waves crash against the shore.

A smile played at the corners of Greg's lips, his eyes radiating a warmth that mirrored the sun's gentle caress. "Do you remember this place, Marinelle?" he asked, his voice tinged with a hint of nostalgia.

I gazed into his eyes, searching for answers within their depths. "I... I think so," I replied, my voice filled with wonder and uncertainty. "But it feels like a distant dream, a memory barely within my grasp."

Greg's expression softened, his hand reaching out to cup my cheek in a tender gesture. "That's okay, Marinelle," he whispered, his voice laced with a mixture of longing and reassurance. "Memories have a way of resurfacing when the time is right. For now, let's create new memories, ones that will become the foundation of our present and future."

I couldn't resist the opportunity to engage in our usual banter, testing the waters of our evolving connection. With a playful glint in my eyes, I leaned forward, a mischievous smile dancing on my lips.

"So, Greg," I began, teasingly. "Kailan mo balak umuwi sa Pinas? I'm starting to worry about your 'business' there. Must be thriving if it's keeping you away for so long. Kasi medyo nagsasawa na ko sa pagmumukha mo, napagkakamalan na tuloy nila na boyfriend kita." and I continue to laugh while sipping my coffee.

Greg's eyebrows shot up, a smirk playing at the corner of his mouth. "Ah, Marinelle, you're concerned about my business now, huh? How sweet of you. Well, don't worry, my mysterious ventures are as thriving as ever. Can't have the Philippine economy collapsing without my expert management."