CHAPTER THIRTEEN

THE TALK

The next morning, Leylah woke up quite late and she had to rush to work without even having breakfast.

Her mother wanted to have a discussion with her but she had to let her go as Leylah was already late for work.

"Here,take this. I made this especially for Leylah. you both can have it while you have your TALK today" Mrs Najma said to her son,making emphasis on the talk.

"Mum,you shouldn't have bothered. why did you go through the stress of making this?"

"Its no stress for me,besides I know Leylah would love them".mrs najma said as she handed Suraj the box of snacks.

He smiled and thanked his mother for the snacks she made them. They were Leylah's favourite and his mum had to get up  early to make them.

Meanwhile,Mrs Karina was at home getting ready for the dinner with Ibraheem and his family.

Mrs fateema,Ibraheem's mother had called her earlier and asked to meet so they'll discuss the engagement party and eventually the wedding of their children.

Mrs Karina was shocked,she knew her daughter and Ibraheem were dating and they've been together for a few years now.
But Leylah never told her that they've gotten engaged and are even thinking about getting married.

She wanted to discuss it with Leylah but Leylah was in a hurry and she didn't want her to be late for work so she let her go.

Later that day,Mrs Karina called Leylah on the phone. And after calling her severally,Leylah finally picked up the call.

"Hey mum,am sorry I wasn't able to come to the phone earlier. I was attending to some patients". Leylah explained.

"Its fine my darling,but am mad at you Leylah".

"how could you? how could you do this to your own mother?" Mrs Karina complained.

"What's are you talking about mum?i don't understand. why are you sounding like this?"

"Why won't I sound like this?how can a daughter get engaged and be planning her wedding without telling her own mother?"

"Can you imagine how I felt when Ibraheem's mother called and was talking about the wedding and engagement party, and I was just here stuttering like a fool".

"My only daughter got engaged and I just got to know about it and even by an outsider". Mrs Karina complained bitterly.

" Am so sorry mum,please forgive me. your anger is justified. But I promise you that is not the case"

"I will never make such a big decision in my life without you knowing mum"

"you are my confidant, I've always told you about my plans and decisions and I always will".Leylah clarified.

"So what are you saying now?"
" you are not engaged yet?"
" or about to be engaged?"

"how comes Mrs fateema is....." Mrs Karina asked confused.

"I don't know mum,am not sure. when I went to their house last time,ibraheem had asked me to pretend like am his fiancée and that we were already engaged"

" He said he just wanted to show his parents that he is able to find the woman he wants to get married to. he didn't like the fact that they keep fixing blind dates for him and forcing him to go on them".

" so he thought if we pretended to be engaged,they'll stop. I didn't have any problem with that and so I agreed".

" he is my boyfriend after all and he has often talked about us getting married but I told him I wasn't ready yet" Leylah further explained.