CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

LIVING NO MORE THAN SIMPLE FLAT MATES.

While the parents were making plans for their children's wedding,Leylah and Suraj were at the hospital ignoring each other.

Suraj got a call from his mother,she begged him to go have a talk with Leylah and settle all their differences since they'll soon become husband and wife.

Suraj was surprised, "what are you talking about mum? Is this a joke or what?"

"I know you are surprised but this is no joke. Leylah has agreed to get married to you".

"Your dad,Aunt and I have started making plans already".

"Why are you even acting surprised? didn't you both agree to get married yesterday?"

"You should come home early today because we have a lot to discuss" Mrs Najma finished and hung up the phone. Suraj was astound.

Days flew by quickly and the day of their wedding arrived.  Leylah told her mother that she didn't want to have a grand wedding but rather a small and quiet one.

She knew Ibraheem hadn't been able to tell his family about their break up and now,he is in a coma.

She didn't want his parents to think that she went from being their son's fiancée to someone else's bride.

She also asked Suraj not to let anyone at the hospital know. She thought since ibraheem's family are mostly in the hospital,they might get to hear the news. Or the director might tell them since he is Mr Omar mustapha's close friend.

Suraj was so happy,he felt like he was dreaming. He is going to be married to the love of his life,the only woman he has ever loved,his childhood friend,his soulmate.

He was going to get married to his beloved Leylah,his happiness knew no bounds.

Although he felt sad that he couldn't tell the whole world that he was getting married to the love of his life but he was still very happy.

Since Leylah wanted an intimate wedding, they just got married according to Muslim rites in the mosque and organised a small walima(party). After that Leylah was escorted to her husband's house.

"We got married because of my mum. we may look like a married couple in the eyes of our family but no one outside should know that we are married". Leylah said as soon as everybody left and she was all alone with Suraj in their new home.

"Okay",Suraj said simply.

"I just pray Ibraheem wakes up soon,so I can end all this". Leylah said,frustration evident on her face when she saw Suraj's nonchalant expression.

"You don't have to worry Leylah,we are doing this for Aunt. Soon she'll realise that we cannot be together and then we can get divorced and go our separate ways".  He said looking at her straight in the eyes.

"Oh yeah,I pray she realises soon because I don't want to be with a man like you".

"Me neither,am ready to divorce you whenever you want so you can go be with your fiancé".

"Yes and you with your girlfriend".

They argued on their first night as a married couple and slept in separate bedrooms.

The apartment Mr Al-kaseem got for them was a nice one in one of the estates in Ikeja. It was close to their work place.

It had 2 bedrooms,a sitting room,a nice big kitchen,a store and a balcony.

They had already agreed to sleep in separate rooms. They might live in the same house,share the same kitchen and sitting room but they'll be no more than simple flatmates.