Chapter 2 - Dirty Little Secrets

"We were wondering where you two had been..." Himeko exclaimed with a hint of suspicion in her tone as Welt and Dan Heng entered the main carriage. Dan Heng tapped his arm against Welt's followed by an awkward clearing of his throat. Caelus and March offered raised brows and curious gazes which only thickened the awkward tension.

"Ah yes, well, uh... I had to chat about something important with Dan Heng. Apologies if we took longer than expected." Welt explained nervously, trying to sound convincing whilst scratching the back of his neck. Dan Heng stared at his shoes anxiously and crossed his arms together, feeling their burning gazes upon him. His throat tightened slightly.

"That's fine, though Pom-Pom isn't too happy. You know how Pom-Pom is about time management..." Himeko replied humorously as she gestured across her shoulder to the angry Pom-Pom standing behind her.

"Next time you two are late, you're not going on any expedition. Is that clear?" Pom-Pom scolded harshly, staring them down.

"Yes, Pom-Pom." They confirmed in unison, their voices in harmony shocking them slightly as they offered each other surprised expressions.

"That's 'Conductor' to you!" Pom-Pom retorted, stamping their paw sternly.

"Understood, Conductor." Welt responded raising his hands in surrender with a sigh of humiliation as he stumbled to a seat and crashed onto it.

"Dan Heng! Get your butt over here!" March yelled earning a deep sigh of annoyance from him. He dragged his feet over to the two and sat beside them with a heavy thump.

"What's up with you? What did you guys talk about?" Caelus questioned with concern as he leaned closer to him for an answer.

"Just Luofu matters and such. It was quite stressful, to say the least." He lied and avoided eye contact by staring at Jarilo-VI growing nearer.

Caelus turned to March with a frown who furrowed her brows in confusion as a response. She felt something was off. Caelus wrapped an arm around Dan Heng's shoulder and pulled him close, squeezing him comfortingly. Dan Heng's cheeks reddened slightly at the sudden affection, though he was far too emotionally drained to deny his embrace.

"I hope it wasn't too stressful for you, buddy. Cheer up!" Caelus pepped cracking a soft smile from Dan Heng who rested his head upon his shoulder sleepily.

Welt watched from across the carriage out of the corner of his eye at their interaction and he couldn't help but feel a pang of jealousy in his chest as he thought that he should be the one in Caelus' place, comforting him. As selfish as it seemed to him, holding Dan Heng in his arms but a matter of minutes ago awoke something in him. Something powerful which he tried to supress and shake off for a long while. He sighed in defeat, averting his gaze to the floor, lost in thought. He pondered about the times where he felt something for Dan Heng in the past; Always his favourite student whenever he would hold his lectures and classes, very eager to learn. He would ask for his opinion on situations whenever they were out on expeditions together which made his opinion feel valued and important. He would also bring him a warm cup of Himeko's coffee often if he were stuck in his office working away. Not to mention the countless moments of prolonged eye contact and not-so accidental touches in the heat of certain situations.

Letting his mind wash away like a seashell upon the shore, his eyes travelled once more to the younger three, fixating upon Dan Heng's seemingly napping self. He frowned with guilt at the thought of him bottling his feelings up. He knew how taxing it must've been. He was just glad he allowed some of those feelings to pour out in his office and he hoped it brought him a sense of relief.

"We are shortly approaching Jarilo-VI! Please collect your luggage and as always, be mindful of the gap between the Express and the platform edge!" Pom-Pom's voice boomed across the intercom as they made their announcement, startling Welt and pulling him back into reality. He noticed Dan Heng jump in response too, his heart shattering slightly watching his exhausted state become so alarmed suddenly.