Chapter 4 - Preparations

Anxiety continued to creep its way up on Gepard as shaking Sampo from his mind felt nearly impossible. He lugged his armour clad body behind the group as they approached Serval's workshop. He was used to wearing his armour regularly, though long periods of carrying the extra weight made his muscles ache and feet sore. He looked forward to changing into a more comfortable attire.

Eyeing the group with curiosity, he noticed they were separated into pairs; Caelus and March 7th were up ahead having a seemingly very amusing conversation whilst Welt and Dan Heng walked close together, the taller of the two pointing in different directions around the plaza and the shorter following his motions attentively. He began to miss Sampo even more as he thought about taking a stroll with him and chatting nonsense.

"What do you think about heading to that café with me sometime, just you and I?" Welt asked Dan Heng nervously with hope in his tone as he brushed his arm against his whilst the other pointed towards the building. Dan Heng turned to him with a gentle smile and nodded. He began to worry that his poker face would wear off sooner than later as Welt continued to make it difficult for him to stay calm.

"That sounds nice. I look forward to it." He replied sincerely earning a cheery grin and faint blush from Welt. The pure sight only awoke the butterflies living in his tummy.

Welt and Dan Heng seemed very close through Gepard's eyes and their dynamic was quite adorable to him. Overhearing their conversation, he fell deeper into the trap of longing for Sampo. To take him on a proper date, one in which they are not forced to hide in a dirty alleyway, was a wish he clung onto tightly. He realised such a thing could be possible soon if the people of Belobog accepted them being together. He often wondered how he would even explain his relationship with him after hunting him down for so long.

Snapping out of his thoughts, his eyes travelled from his feet to Serval's workshop nearing them and his chest began to tighten at the thought of being scolded by his older sister for making her worry. Sure they were adults, but the wrath of an angry big sister proved too powerful for the will of our brave knight.

"This is so exciting, I can't wait to get everyone together!" March cheered enthusiastically as she skipped towards the workshop whilst dragging Caelus by his sleeve.

"Serval, we're back! We found him!" March announced proudly as she shoved open the door and pulled Caelus inside who stopped abruptly to hold the door open with his ankle for the others.

"Ah, wonderful!" She responded with excitement as she popped out from behind a rack of tools. "Now..." Her tone switched instantly earning a gulp from a nervous Gepard who struggled to make eye contact with her. "Where have you been, Gep?" She questioned painfully calm as she made her way towards them. Gepard clenched his fists tightly as everyone's eyes fell upon the siblings, watching intently from the side lines.

"I've b-been helping out some folks in Rivet Town, sis... You know, clearing out any Fragmentum monsters, taking the injured to Natasha's clinic... The usual." As much as he lied through his teeth, he still tried to sound convincing as Serval stared intensely at him making him shudder.

"Is that so? You must have been working so hard down there considering you've been gone all day..." He gulped as she spoke with sarcasm. "-Not to mention the past couple weeks where you've been away for while." She added crossing her arms authoritatively.

"W-well yeah... It gets pretty tough down there... It's lots of work." He replied sheepishly with a nervous chuckle, avoiding her piercing stare. The four stood silently, not moving an inch.

"That aside, I've been worried sick about you." She admitted with a warmer tone, her strong presence fading slightly.

"I'm sorry. You don't have to worry about me, you know? I'm a big boy now." He assured placing his hands on his hips boastfully.