Twenty-Two

Addison's POV

"Remember what you did to me? When I was an intern?" I asked Richard. The two of us were sitting in his office just catching up, but I also wanted to talk about Adelaide.

"How could I forget? You didn't speak to me for almost a year. But you learned." Richard responded.

"Yes, but I'm referring to when the interns in my year called me a teen mom because I adopted Adelaide. Then they called her a bastard."

"I remember that quite well. Adelaide would spend time with me and ask me what that word meant. It was her Ricky phase." Richard says, referring to when Adelaide would call him Ricky and Mark joked that he's really Ricky Martin.

"She's too invested with Emily, the quint she's looking after. It doesn't help that Stevens said that she'd be at fault if Emily dies. It clearly brought up some bad memories. Because of Stevens, Adelaide won't leave Emily's side for even a second."

"I'll talk to Dr. Stevens. But Addison, Adelaide's a lot like you as a doctor. She's smart, hard working and gets a little too involved with her patients. Ellis Grey even called her an extraordinary surgeon and Ellis doesn't give many compliments." Richard tells me and I couldn't help but smile.

"Adelaide's really innocent Richard and just wants to help people. While intellectually she knows that people will die, emotionally she's not able to handle that."

"I know. She came earlier to tell me that she yelled at Preston and didn't mean it. But she was scared, he'd be mad at her." Richard tells me and I sigh, knowing Adelaide will tell on herself for what happened in the OR.

"He's not upset with Adelaide. Preston saw that she was upset at Emily's condition, not at him."

"She's also upset at herself. I know Adelaide quite well to know she's beating herself up over this." Richard says and I nodded in agreement.

******************

Adelaide's POV

I was currently at the nurses' station, filling in a patient's chart when Nurse Antoinette Cooper walked over to me. I've only worked with her a couple times since I've started working here and Meredith told me that she's also new.

"Dr. Montgomery. Your mother told me to give you a message. She and Dr. Burke have reassessed Emily Russell. They think there's a chance with the Norwood if Emily can make it through the next ten hours. Would you look after her for the night?" Antoinette tells me and I nodded in response.

"Good. Your mother's left a list of medications and you're familiar with paediatric life support?" Antoinette asks me.

"As soon as I finished medical school I got certified."

"Dr. Montgomery this baby is your responsibility. Your mother wants her alive when she returns tomorrow." Antoinette says before I walked to the NCIU and walked over to where Emily was. Grabbing one of the medications, I injected it into her IV when Olivia entered the room and walked over to me.

"Emily's BO2 is still 40% after transfusion." Olivia tells me.

"How is our BP doing?"

"Still low. Last systolic was fifty-two." Debbie tells me.

"Okay I am going to push 30ccs of NS manually." I inject the NS and Emily's BP starts rising on the heart monitor.

"Nice start. Pressure's 65." Olivia says before I sit down in front of Emily's incubator and the nurses leave.

"You cannot scare us like that sweetie." Callie enters the room and walks over to where I'm sitting.

"Hi Callie."