Forty-Two

Alex's POV

Alex's POV

"Adelaide sees you as family you know." I was drawing Denny's blood while talking to him about the surgery. The others were gone because Adelaide needed to eat something and Alessandra had to make a phone call. Izzie was basically banned from being in the room right now because she's giving the man those crazy obsessed eyes all day.

"Ok." Denny tells me.

"I'm just saying this because this is going to be hard for her when you...you know."

"You mean...when I die?" Denny asks and I nod.

"With a clot in your pulmonary artery, it'll cut off the oxygen to your lungs and you'll die of hypoxia. If the hypoxia doesn't kill you, the strain on your heart will."

"And the surgery?" Denny asks me.

"It's not a routine procedure. You're at serious risk for bleeding because of the anticoagulants already in your system. What I'm saying is Adelaide really cares about you and she's not someone you'd want to disappoint."

"I'm not going to disappoint her." Denny tells me before I leave the room and hand the vial of blood to Olivia. Winifred walks over to me and smiles before handing me a cup of coffee.

"Why did Addison tell me that Izzie threatened to have Adelaide fired if Denny dies?" Winifred asks, causing my eyes to widen in confusion.

"What?"

"Dr. Robbins found Adelaide in tears an hour ago because she's worried about losing her job if Denny dies. Apparently Izzie said that Bailey will have her fired for losing two patients in a manner or months. You didn't know, did you?" Winifred says, seeing the confusion on my face.

"Of course not because I would have yelled at her for it! Adelaide gave me a chance at friendship when nobody else did. Before meeting her, I was known as Evil Spawn but ever since we met nobody has called me that. Well except for Izzie and Derek."

"Adelaide has that effect on people. Mark was Derek's best friend but I never liked him, his mother or three of his sisters. Amelia and I were friends but when we met Adelaide, we became the three musketeers. Amelia has her addiction issues because she witnessed her father being killed in front of her when she was five. My parents were never around but we had our relatives who took care of us. Adelaide had it even worse than the two of us and still has an innocent view of the world." Winifred tells me while drinking her coffee.

"Adelaide is my person. It's something Meredith and Cristina say to each other."

"Oh I know what that is. Adelaide filled me in on your lingo before I came to work here." Winifred says with a chuckle.

"So you know about the syphilis then?"

"Yes but she also told me you got treated when you found out so I'm not worried." Winifred explains to me.

"But to put your mind at ease I'll get a test to make sure that I'm not still suffering from the disease."

"I know you will because you don't want to hurt Adelaide or me." Winifred says before kissing my cheek.

********************************

Adelaide's POV

"Hi. How you feeling?" Denny looks up at me from his gurney and gives me a smile.

"Okay. I overheard Dr. Sloan telling Alex about you being upset about me dying. Adelaide, you're one of the most brilliant surgeons I've ever seen. If I am to die, you won't be at fault because I know you did everything you could to save my life." Denny tells me.

"Thank you." The doctors wheel Denny away and I walk into the scrub room to see Alex and Izzie fighting.

"You're not going to get away with telling Adelaide that she's going to be fired by Bailey for losing two patients." Alex shouts at Izzie.

"She doesn't have the heart to be a surgeon if she's going to cry every time someone dies." Izzie shouts back before I go to wash my hands.

"Adelaide has the heart to be a surgeon. It takes someone with Adelaide's heart and intellect to be an excellent surgeon." Alex shouts.

"She's not good enough to be a surgeon at any hospital! She's not good enough for anyone and I don't know how Meredith's still with her! They don't even sleep together!" Izzie shouts when my posture stiffens and Preston enters the room.

"You two, you're not scrubbing in. Whatever's going on with you, I don't need it in my OR." Preston says before I look at them with tears in my eyes.

"It is okay. I will be the one leaving. After all I am not good enough to be a surgeon or to be with Meredith." I tell Preston before walking out of the scrub room and wiped the tears from my eyes.

"Adelaide wait!" Alex says while grabbing my arm to stop me from walking away.

"Yes?"

"She's wrong about you. You're a brilliant surgeon and definitely the best person for Meredith. Before she got together with you she was drinking every night to numb her pain or sleeping with people. Now she's opening herself up to love and that's all because of you." Alex tells me when Izzie storms past us and I give Alex a smile.

"You should be operating on Denny."

"Izzie was kicked out for what she said to you and I was kicked out for bringing bad energy. George is going to help Dr. Burke. Are you sure you don't want to go back there?" Alex tells me.

"I think I need to go home right now. I need to collect my thoughts and get some rest."

"Ok kid. I'll see you tomorrow." Alex says before letting my arm go and I walked to the locker room to get my things.

*******************************

Addison's POV

Adelaide was breastfeeding from me while Arizona laid down on the other side of the bed. Alex informed me what happened earlier and I hated that Izzie was making my daughter feel bad about herself.

"She's wrong about you little one." Adelaide looks up at me before noticing Arizona in bed with us and blushed.

"It's okay bunny. I am quite familiar with age regression and have no problems with you doing that." Arizona reassures my daughter with a soft smile.

"I know Arizona. Thank you for accepting me in all my ways." Adelaide tells my girlfriend.

"Always bunny." Arizona tells my daughter before hugging her. Adelaide hugs her back before getting off the bed and I give her a smile.

"You don't have to go."

"Merry just lost her patient today so I am going to go comfort her." Adelaide explains before leaving my room and I put my shirt back on.

"She's so sweet. But why do I think she's not comfortable sharing this side of herself with me?" Arizona asks me.

"The last time she shared this side of herself with my significant other was Derek and he abused her for it. It'll take time for her to fully understand that you won't hurt her like he did."

"I'll make sure that she knows that I'd never hurt her like that." Arizona says before kissing me and I kissed her back.