CHAPTER FIVE

"How was the hunt yesterday?" I asked the men the next morning at breakfast. Cole sat across from me, with Arthur beside him. Edmund sat beside me with Lance and Sika, who were Arthurs older and youngest brother. Mother, Queen Ariellah and King Eugene included we all ate a family breakfast together. I found out that Lance was the second eldest, the one who Cole had met before at court. Then the order went Nate, Edmund and Sika- who had only just turned sixteen years old.

"I came second." Cole sighed moving the eggs around on his plate.

"That foreign couple came first, La Cour, I believe. They are quite terrifying with a weapon." Arthur smiled beside my brother; the other boys chuckled at the memory. The two men mother had introduced me to at the night of the engagement ball, had won the hunting competition.

"Lionel told me you two sparred yesterday, ahh." Cole said then dragged out a breath remembering I'd been 'sick'.

"It's fine, mother found out." I waved I off.

"Lionel seemed a little torn up about it, said you cheated." Cole finished and chuckled at me. I glanced at Arthur for a split second then smiled back at my brother.

"I won of course." I smiled at the men around the table.

"Isn't he a Captain of the knight's platoon?" Arthur frowned slightly wondering how I'd beaten him.

"He is. I took him off guard, I didn't cheat." I pointed my fork at my brother, "You can beat anyone doing that, no matter how strong they are." I was proud of my fight yesterday with the Captain. I hid the blush from my cheeks remembering the position I'd won in.

"I'd like to see you fight one day." Arthur smiled over at me.

"Keep it for after the wedding, in case she damages your ego." Edmund mumbled out beside me. I blushed harder. Arthur rolled his eyes at his younger brothers comment. The dining table was still filled with buffet food, the butler refilled my glass with juice as I continued eating.

"I didn't even see you all afternoon yesterday." Cole chimed in.

"Athena dear." My mother called from the end of the table, cutting my response off to Cole.

"I don't think you'll see me all today either." I mumbled quickly at my brother. Edmund chuckled beside me. "Yes mother?" I called back out to her.

"Please stay around after breakfast dear, we're going into the city today." Mother said, her hands resting on the edge of her table. I nodded compliantly. It had been a while since we'd been into Verona, I always loved the markets and the people, everyone was so kind.

"Do any of my sons want to join?" Ariellah asked looking over at her five boys. Eugene happily ate beside her knowing he could do as he please while staying here.

"Cole?" Mother chimed in after as well asking my brother.

My brother let out a short cough "I have plans today, I apologise, I cant." He said then glanced over at me. I shot him a 'how dare you leave me' look from across the table.

"I'd love to go." Arthur smiled back at his mother. The other three boys refused as well, Edmund saying he was with Cole, and Lance and Nate doing something with their father and the other guests again today.

Today I would be stuck with Arthur and our mothers with more wedding preparations. One more day and we would be married, and I would have to leave my home.

Not long after breakfast, mother greeted some of our guests who were being entertained in the lounging room by a poet and an artist who had been invited. Tanya made sure I looked my best for our trip into Verona, wearing a light greenish-blue floral gown, with a matching shawl that was pinned around my shoulders.