Impress Me

November 25, 1997

Veronica's POV

"Finally." Alyssa says, getting out of the car. We'd been on the road, heading home to Ohio, for hours. "I know. I'm so ready to just relax in my old room." I sigh. "Hey can I use your car? I'm going to go see my mom. It's been a while." Alyssa asks. She hasn't see her mom in about two years. I've been back a couple times, but she stayed behind, not wanting to see her family since they always make a big deal out of her being gay. "Yeah sure." I hug her and she leaves.

Last time I was here, JD and I were still not talking. I'd still come over to visit Jill and Katie. Heather lives with James a few minutes away. They got engaged right after college. I usually don't think high school relationships are able to last, but they're breakup years ago really made them better and more fit for one another. They still haven't gotten married but James insists it's happening soon. I haven't talked to Heather in a year. We've just been so busy. I'm definitely seeing her this week.

I walk inside and my dad gets up from the couch. "Hey!" He hugs me, "where's Alyssa?" I let go of the hug, "Alyssa just went to see her mom. She'll be back soon." She probably won't want to be there very long. "How are things with JD now that the band is back together?" He asks. "It's good. It's weird being friends with him again. Especially after not talking for 2 years." I say. "I bet." He goes towards the kitchen so I  follow him and take a seat.

He tells me about work and his social life, or lack thereof. "Dad, you really need to make friends. And coworkers don't count unless you spend time with them outside work." I tell him. "I talk to Hank and Jill." He says. "Do you spend time with them?" I ask. "Not really. But we talk when we see each other in public." He opens the fridge. "Dad that's not a friendship," I sigh, "I'm going to start calling Jill and asking her to invite you places." He turns around, "I don't need my daughter to force people to hang out with me." He frowns. "I'm not forcing them to hang out with you. Jill and Hank would love to spend time with you. Jill would spend time with Mom if Mom would allow it." She probably wouldn't but my point still stands. "I'll think about it." He turns back around. "Well we can ask at Thanksgiving. You're coming with me to Jill and Hank's for dinner. You, me, and Alyssa." I tell him. He groans and walks out of the kitchen.

Alyssa comes back an hour later. "Hey. How was your mom?" I ask. "Irritating as always." She lies next to me in bed. "I'm sorry." I say as she rests her head on my chest. "It's okay. How're things with your dad?" She changes the subject. "Good. I'm trying to get him to make some friends. And I told him he's coming to Thanksgiving with us. He just groaned and walked away." I tell her. "He'll have fun. Jill is so nice." Jill and Alyssa have gotten close since they first met. Katie loves her. Alyssa was talking about seeing Katie on the way down here. She was also saying how sad she was that we missed her fourth birthday. It was yesterday.

November 26, 1997

Alyssa and I pull into the driveway and go inside. The moment Katie hears the door open, she's running out of the kitchen. "Lyssa!" She yells and runs into Alyssa's arms. "Hey!" Alyssa laughs. I smile. They're so cute when they interact. "I am so so sorry I missed your birthday, button." Alyssa frowns. I love that her nickname for her is button. And she won't let anyone else call her that. Jill called her that once and she said "Mommy no! That's only for Alyssa!" Alyssa and Katie go into the living room so I follow, Jill behind me.

The two play with some legos while Jill and I catch up. We talk about me being in the band with JD again. We also talk a little about Sam being in Boston again. "Ronica! Look what I made!" Katie lifts up the small structure she's created. "Oh my goodness! That is so cool! Did Lyssa help you with that?" I smile. "No! All me!" She says. "Good job!" I gasp. "Thank you." She sets down her structure and continues "helping" Alyssa with hers. "How are Owen and Will?" Jill asks me. "They're really good. Even though Will hates his job but he refuses to quit." He always complains about work but every time you ask him why he doesn't quit, he just shrugs and changes to subject. "He's just stubborn." Alyssa chimes in. "Sounds like it." Jill laughs.