I Hope You're Happy Too

November 27, 1997

Veronica's POV

Everyone doesn't know what to say or do. "What are you talking about?" Hank stands up. "I know all about Carol. Tell her Hank. Tell her!" JD demands. "Carol Anderson? The woman who runs the company I work for?" Hank asks. "I saw you two at dinner together last night." JD hisses. "We were having a business meeting." Hank says. "You seemed pretty friendly. Are you like that in every business meeting?" He stares at him intensely. "Hank, is this true?" Jill looks at Hank. "No! I have no clue what the hell he's talking about! We had a meeting and went our separate ways!" Hank tells her. "How dare you lie to her like that!" JD shouts. "Okay, you and I need to talk." I get up and drag JD outside.

"What the fuck have you done?" I yell. "What have I done? What has he done? He cheated on my mom." He continues. "No he didn't! Stop! Why do you always have to start fights and ruin your life? You ruined our relationship because of your fucking ego. Now you're trying to destroy your mom's relationship that she fucking deserves! Just stop!" I push him. "Why do you never defend me? You never have?" JD says. "Are you kidding me? Who defended you when you were on trial for murdering your dad? When my mom hated you?" I get louder. "That was in high school. When have you recently defended me?" JD crosses his arms. "We haven't talked in two years! You haven't let me defend you! I was the one who had the balls to finally call and apologize for a fight that was your fault!" I argue. "What's next! You're gonna ruin your relationship with Eva like you did me and Zoe! What the fuck is with y-" Next thing I know his lips are slamming into mine. I push him off of me and slap him. "Wow. You really do want to ruin all of your relationships." I walk back inside with tears forming in my eyes. "What happened?" Alyssa asks. "Nothing. Say goodbye to everyone. We're leaving. Dad!" I look for my dad. "He's on the front porch." Hank tells me.

I walk with Alyssa out to the front porch. "I figured we'd be leaving soon so I just sat out here." My dad says. "Okay. Well we're leaving now." I go to the car. Tears stream down my face as I drive us home. Once we get back to my dad's, I go upstairs and begin sobbing. JD just made everything worse. "Baby what's wrong?" Alyssa rubs my back. "JD and I got into a fight and then he kissed me." I wipe away the mascara running down my cheeks. "What?" Alyssa says a little too loud. "Yeah." I sniffle. "I'll kill him." Alyssa stands up. "No, Alyssa." I grab her arm. "He can't do that, Veronica." She uses a stern voice. "You don't think I know that?" I try to pull her down onto the bed. "I know you know. But that's so wrong. Does Eva know?" She looks at me. "I don't think so. Unless she saw us out the back door." I tell her. "She literally changed her entire life for him and he pulls this? It's just wrong." She shakes her head.

November 28, 1997

JD's POV

I wake up in my room at my mom's house. I have the hangover of the century. I still remember everything that happened last night. I accused Hank of cheating on my mom. And I kissed Veronica. She must be pissed at me. "Hey." A voice says. I roll over and look at the door. Eva is there with disappointment all over her face. "Hey." I try to sit up. "How's my mom?" I ask. "She's fine. After Veronica left, I brought you up here, and she and Hank had a talk in their room. He didn't cheat on her, JD." Eva leans against the door. "I know that now. And also, there's something I should tell you. Last night I-" She interrupts me, "I saw you kiss Veronica." I look down. "I was watching you two fight. Then when you kissed her, I stopped looking. Then she came in crying." She explains. "I'm so sorry. It was-" She stops me again. "Listen. I am okay with you being friends with your ex. What I'm not okay with is you kissing said ex. Especially when she didn't want you to. Also what you did to your mom last night was not okay. I don't want to be with someone who does malicious things like that." She comes closer to me. "It wasn't meant to be malicious. I just-" I stop myself this time. "Not everyone is going to hurt her. I know your dad was terrible but Hank is not your dad." She starts to walk out. "I know." I sigh.