Chapter #12

I'm walking with Steven, outside the school and we're talking about all kinds of different things. We are slowly getting to know each other and I feel like we are starting to get closer. Most of all, both of us discuss how to find the key, which we believe is hidden, somewhere in our school. I'm also curious to know why the headmistress would interfere in such a matter. *Does she know anything specific? What if she knows something and she's hiding it?* As we continue to talk, Nate walks up to us with a serious expression on his face.

"Is everything alright, Nate?" I ask, looking at him.

"It is, don't worry. Can I talk to Steven, for a moment?" he responds, quickly.

"Sure! See you later, guys!" I say, walking away.

Nate has been acting pretty weird lately. He seems very uninterested and cold, and at times I even think he is mad at me. At the same time, he still helps me and never tries to sabotage our work. As crazy as it may sound, at times I even detect jealousy in his eyes. But why?

-Time skip-

While I'm sitting in math class, Brianna walks into the classroom and interrupts the teacher. She tells her, that she has something very important to tell me and quickly calls me outside in the hallway. Extremely confused, as always I follow her and wonder what does she have to tell me.

"Clara! We have new information, about the key! Apparently the headmistress keeps one in her cabinet, but it's locked. Still we're pretty sure that's the same key." she exclaims.

"Great! But how did you find out?" I ask her, curiously.

"Jim and Steven have pressured Jacob, to tell them everything. Our theory about the mysterious envelope is also correct, apparently she gave it to him as a bribe." Brianna continues.

"I see, are we sure that Jacob won't snitch on us, though? I wonder.

"Hopefully he won't. Still, let's not waste any precious time! I say we try to break in her office tonight!" she says.

"How will this happen? We don't even have a plan!" I explain.

"Don't worry about it, the guys said they will take care of everything. Now go back to class, see you later!" Brianna says, running away.

-Time skip-

It is now ten, at night. Brianna and I are sitting in our room, waiting for the boys to come, so we can all go to the office together. Just as I was losing hope that they would come, I hear a knock on the door and Jim walks in. He hands each of us a flashlight and signals us to leave the room. We walk down the hallway in the quietest way possible, hoping that no one will hear us. As we walk Mike trips over his shoe and almost falls down, but luckily Nate catches him just in time. He makes a sour face and continues to walk with a slight limp. Currently, in front of the stairs, Jim suggests that we split into two groups, one to enter the office and the other one to guard outside.

"Alright, great idea! Me and Clara go in!" Nate says, taking a step forward.

"Not so fast, Nate. I think it would be better if I go with Clara. You should guard outside." Steven cuts him off.

"And why is that? You're going to knock something over inside, remember how careless you are!" Nate continues.

"And you're extremely disoriented! By the time you find the key, it will already be morning!" Steven talks over him.

"Guys, Clara is going in, with me!" says Jim and drags me by the arm.

"Two fight and the third one wins." Brianna whispers, giggling.

As we go up the stairs, we hear the guard coming down and we immediately scatter in all directions. Suddenly, I'm all alone with Steven under the stairscase and he sits down next to me. The whole atmosphere becomes really awkward and I hope the others come back soon. Trying to move to the side, I hit my elbow really hard and I'm about to scream but Steven puts his hand over my mouth.

"Shh, you don't want him to hear you!" he whispers.

I nod in agreement and try to massage my elbow. During this time, the others also arrive and together we proceed to the headmistress's office. *I hope, that the thing we're looking for is really inside!*