Chapter 20

Phupha

I hadn't expected Tian to wait for me the next morning like he usually did, especially since I'd overslept and was running ten minutes late.

But he was sitting patiently at the kitchen table. He looked as bad as I felt and I had no doubt he hadn't fared much better in the sleep department.

"Would you mind driving today?" Tian asked as I reached his side. I wanted so badly to lean down and tip his head back for a kiss but I restrained and I took the keys.

"Sure," I managed to say, though my voice sounded raspy.

It wasn't until we were half way to the office and in the middle of morning traffic that I finally broached a subject that I'd needed to speak with Tian about.

"I'd like to come to Chiang Mai with you," I said, though I kept my eyes on the road.

"Okay." It was the answer I'd wanted, but the tone in his voice made my heart sink.

Dejected, dull... lifeless.

I'd done that to him. He'd done nothing but give and I'd shit all over that because I was too much of a fucking coward not to give back what he deserved.

"You told Dr.White it was a chartered jet." Tian nodded.

"Mew knew I wouldn't be comfortable on a commercial flight so he suggested it. Mew's flying a couple days earlier... he's got family out there."

We were both silent for a while. I hated that Tian wouldn't look at me. I hated that he wasn't the same Tian he'd been just twenty-four hours ago. Laughing, joking, making fun of the fact that he kept kicking my ass at Tetris.

"Tian, about last night-"

"You don't have to explain, Phupha. I shouldn't have pushed so hard."

"Tian..."

"Please, Phupha, don't. Okay?" Tian whispered, his voice thick with what I suspected were unshed tears.

"Just don't."

I forced the knot in my throat with a hard swallow as I watched Tian turn away from me.

I didn't speak to him again. I work at the outside cubicles and when I went to Tian's office to check on him for lunch, his assistant Aye informed me that he was meeting with Mew and that he wouldn't be available for the rest of the afternoon.

I kept myself busy with reviewing Jane's email for our latest case.

"You ready to go?" Tian's voice startled me. I glanced at the clock on my laptop and saw it was well past the time we normally left the office. I nodded and shut my computer down.

We made our way to the elevator, I debated whether I should try talking to Tian but he made the decision for me when he stepped onto the elevator car behind me and promptly moved far away from me as he could get.

My stomach sank when I realized that would be his reaction if and when he found out what I did for a living these days.

I followed Tian off the elevator but nearly slammed into him when he stopped suddenly in front of me. I immediately looked around to see what had frozen him in place, at the same time that I stepped around him to shield him.

Tian's car sat exactly where we'd left it, but all four tires were flat and even from where we stood, I could clearly make out the words spray painted in red along the side of the car.

Cocksucker.

I searched the rest of the garage for any signs of life but there's no one. I took Tian's hand in mine as I approached the car and tested the pain. Sure enough, it was still wet.