A Habit.

Angeline threw herself on her bed and fell into a fitful sleep. If these guys were really angels then why were they so different? Ms. May the housekeeper, watched the girl run up the stairs, before she answered the door. A cat sat on the step and meowed up at her. “Toulouse! My dear what are you doing outside?” the housekeeper tutted comfortingly at the purring cat and turned to bring him to Angeline’s room. She didn’t notice the black mockingbird flying in the front door as she closed it.

By the time Toulouse was curled beside Angeline she was fast asleep. The dreams came quickly. Knowledge, that she had known, in a past life perhaps. She woke abruptly. A warm body was curled around her. Slowly she turned her head. Xaiver! Trying not to freak out she started to move out of his grasp. He stirred and pulled her back towards him. Angeline squirmed, desperate to escape the stranger’s arms. He woke.

A playful smile danced on his lips. Leaning toward her face, he kissed her nose. Gasping slightly, she realized something that her mind had not registered consciously before. Everything had happened so fast. If Xavier was Toulouse… That means he knew all her secrets.. Everything she’d told him… Everything he’d seen! Getting dressed and undressing in front of a cat more obsessed with himself than anything else was fine. But if the peculiarly faithful companion turned out to be a hot guy? Wasn‘t her life confusing enough? Adopted, homeschooled , angel wings and now a perverted cat? Oh, no. Xavier smirked at her blushing cheeks and leaned to kiss her again. Angeline had a feeling he wasn’t aiming for her nose. “Um, Xavier?” He stopped his approach and looked at the now terrified girl in his arms. “Yes, my mistress?”

Angeline shuddered faintly at the title, “What do you remember from being a cat?”

He leaned back and evaluated her question, “Everything I suppose, except with enhanced vision.” he smirked as her blush deepened.  She shook her head and tried to change the subject. “What did Bennet mean when he said I was an Angel of Light? What does that make you?”

Xavier snickered mischievously, trailing his finger along her neck and down her arm. He rolled onto his back and looked up at her. “Oh, I’m of the frightfully common kind,” he pouted, “Just an Angel of Lust...”

Angeline tired to keep from screaming. “T-then what’s Bennet?”

Xavier frowned, “Who cares about him?”  In one of the far corners of Angeline’s large bedroom, a shadow took form and detached itself from the dark. Bennet stood with his arms crossed, a dangerous look in his eyes. “Sorrow.”

“Excuse me? I thought angels were supposed to be good.”

Bennet laughed scornfully, “Angels... is an optional name. We’re sprites. We don’t live in the part of Heaven you’re thinking of.” His face darkened, “There cannot be good without the bad.”

Angeline sighed. I’m giving up. It’s too hard being skeptical... I’m just gonna go with it.

“Any questions?”

“Yes, why did my wings disappear?”

“Do you really want me to answer that question?” Angeline shook her head; the answer had come to her as soon as she had asked. When she had fallen, she was reincarnated as a human and even though her memories as an angel were still intact if a little choppy, all her powers were gone.

“Done yet?” Xavier growled, eyeing Angeline hungrily. He moved toward her on his hands and knees, like a jungle cat. Angeline had a fleeting picture of Xavier dressed like a caveman, his red hair contrasting beautifully with a leopard fur tunic. She almost giggled; I hope no one gives him a club. Her thoughts were interrupted as Bennett sent Xavier flying. He smacked him and the spiky haired red-head toppled off the bed, a red palm shaped mark dominating his surprised face. 

 “Don’t look at her that way.” Bennet glanced at the shocked teenager, “She’s just a girl.” With one last warning glare at Xavier, he transformed and flew out the open window.

Angeline looked at Xavier on the floor.  “I’m sorry.” He looked up at her with sad eyes, but not quite as sad as Bennet’s. “It’s kind of a habit.”

She turned away, disgusted. “A habit..”