I Do Remember

They were sitting in the middle of the maze. A single stone bench over grown with vines and roses. It seemed unreal; a fantastical place where long separated lovers would share a kiss, rekindling a lost romance. Apparently, Bennet didn’t see this because he immediately turned to her, his eyes stony.

"You don’t realize that when you left, the very essence of the world was dangling by string?" His tone was accusing. "Your little joy trip caused us lives." 

Angeline matched his gaze. He was angry. Angry, even though what he said was not backed by cold hard facts. He was saying it to hurt her. She understood. "I was pushed."

"I didn't know who I was. I didn't know why I was alone. " 

Her temper suddenly flared, ages of pent up anger burst through. Pain she didn't know existed. "I was just a baby. I haven't lived like this all my life. It hasn't been all flowers and honey down here either! You don't know what I've been through! You don't know how cruel humans can be!"

Angeline caught her breath. She steadied herself on the bench and continued in a soft voice.

"I was found in the woods near a graveyard. A rich couple adopted me. As I grew up, my adoptive parents had 3 little children. I was the oldest, the smart, brave big sister. I loved my little brothers and my baby sister. We lived in a rather big house with lots of rooms and place to explore. One day, when my parents were gone, our house was broken into by big buys with black masks over their faces. They tied up my little siblings and made me search the house for money or anything valuable. They said if I didn't give them anything they would shoot my siblings every 10 minutes. I didn't know what they would consider valuable. I searched and searched. But when the police came 30 minutes later, I was the only one alive." 

Bennett looked at his knees. "I'm sorry."

Tears dripped from her lashes and stained her cheeks. Her face felt sticky. She wiped her eyes on her sleeve, sniffling miserably. "Remember when you asked me if I remembered you?"

The boy looked up. His coal eyes sparkling with hope.

"I do remember. But you don't know me anymore."

This was her chance. She wasn’t going to be the maiden who needed saving. She was going to be the heroine for once. If she couldn’t save the twins and her little sister, she would save the world. And she wasn’t going to depend on a guy to help her. Angeline stood up and strode toward the maze. Pausing to look back at Bennett, the boy’s face was ashen, his bright eyes now gray.

Bennett stood up desperately, and reached for her. "But I still love you."  His voice echoed in the maze as she walked away.

But I don't know if I love you, thought Angeline.