The Hidden Angels

Chapter IX

The Maze was pretty straightforward. Either that or she was just good at stomping blindly through mazes. Now, what was she going to do? Well, first she obviously had to ask someone what had happened in the Clouds while she was gone, and since she had just dissed Bennett; it wouldn’t make any sense to go back there. So that only left one person; Xavier. She was certain that these two boys liked her. But there was so much to think about and analyze... Let’s see. Being a queen, her absence must have been discovered before long, and angels were probably sent down in full form to find her and do her job. Xavier must’ve found her all those years ago. But what about Bennett? Wouldn’t her ‘lover’ been worried? Apparently not. Angeline grit her teeth. Ugh!! This wasn’t fair.

Angeline stopped in mid-step. This was stupid. She needed to get back to the Clouds.

She knocked on the door. The doorknob turned slowly, revealing a sleepy Xavier wearing only his boxers. The red-head looked down at her, rubbing his eyes.

“Hi, I’m sor-” In the time that it took to recognize who she was, Xavier had pulled her through the doorway, flung the door closed and pushed her unto the bed.

Xavier sat on the ground in front of her, his green eyes like glistening emeralds.

“No, it should be me saying sorry, it was wrong of me to do that. It’s just-”

Angeline put her finger over his lips to shush him.

“I need you to-”

“Anifwing.” Xavier interrupted, his words muffled by her failed attempt to quiet him.

Being nice wasn’t gonna work with him. Exactly like Tollhouse, Xavier was impudent and obnoxious. Angeline slid off the bed and sat on his chest pinning him to the ground.

“Shut up and let me talk.”

Angeline cleared her throat. “When I left the Clouds, I imagine everyone was looking for me on Earth, right? Well, obviously not everyone..” Angeline paused as she thought of her rival in the Clouds; the queen of the Dark angels. Beatrice was always rude and only sported the worst of dark angel traits: envy, hate, cynicism. She had a nasty temper to match her oil-black ankle length hair; she was manipulative and always thought the worst of everyone. But like every bully; she was defensive and attacked without a thought.

“Did Beatrice push me?” Angeline asked.

Xavier laughed. “If she did, she sure didn’t think of the consequences.”

“Consequences?”

Xavier’s face flickered through a series of moods. “After you left, all kinds of light angels tried to step in for you, take your place. But of course it didn’t work. The sun angels accidently started global warming, the love angels caused a whole lot of heartbreak and the luck angels managed to get a lot of people drunk on a certain day…”

Angeline giggled.

“The worst happened when we tried to fix it, hundreds upon hundreds of angels were sent down in full form to fix the earth but the presence of so much pure magic disrupted the aura of the earth and nearly every hidden angel on the face of the earth woke.”

Xavier shivered slightly, as if recalling bad memories.

“They were discovered weren’t they?” All those poor fallen angels?

Xavier nodded.  “As we speak, more and more dark angel energy is being stolen by Lucifer.”

Angeline couldn’t help it. She had doomed all these innocent sprites? Tears slid down her face, splashing on Xavier’s chest.

“No…” Xavier slid out from under her and enveloped her in his arms. “Don’t cry. Don’t let them get to you. You’ll fix it. Don’t worry…”

“But... But when all the mourning angels are gone, who will help humanity mourn? Sadness will overcome everyone… and the world will become a huge weepy mess!” The girl continued to sob despondently.

“T-the tissue companies will never be able t-to k-keep up!”

Xavier pulled her back from him and caught her eyes, “Not unless we fix it.”

 “Y-you have a plan?” Angeline whimpered.

The red-head smiled impishly, “You bet I do.”