Chapter 16. 1815 

As the remainder of August flowed into September, Nora felt very uneasy. She was hesitant to attend any ball or social gathering, fearing that Viscount Hastings would be there. She was also still not allowing James to come anywhere near her.
James, for his part, was no longer angry with Nora. He knew she was going through a very traumatic time, and was willing to wait until she was ready for him to love her. He gave her space whenever she needed it, and didn't even attend any function without her. He wasn't the type of gentleman to throw himself at a woman after she had nearly been ruined. He was a much more respectable gentleman than that.
On a cold and rainy evening toward the middle of September, Nora was lying in bed, looking up at the ceiling. Her thoughts were racing around in her head. She was missing James, missing him terribly. She didn't want to avoid him, didn't want to stay away from him.
Nora exhaled slowly, rubbing her eyes. She couldn't sleep. She felt so guilty for how she was treating James. She didn't want to stay away from him any longer. 
Climbing out of bed, Nora dressed quickly in a casual dusty blue gown with long sleeves and a matching cloak. Pulling on a pair of matching boots, she pulled her hair into a messy chignon, wrote a letter to Florence saying where she was going, and made her way outside. Having one of the servants fix up her horse, she mounted her stallion and rode toward Suffolk Park.
***
Sitting at his desk, James was restless. He couldn't concentrate on the documents and ledgers before him. All he could think about was Nora, wondering if she had decided to call off the court ship. He wouldn't be able to live with himself if she did.
Rising from his desk, James moved to the window that overlooked the countryside. Pressing his forehead against the cold glass, he took a breath and exhaled slowly. His life without Nora was meaningless. He closed his eyes briefly, imagining Nora in his arms, in his bed.
The sound of a horse off in the distance caused James to open his eyes once again. Startled, he looked outside and felt his heart stop. No, it couldn't be. He couldn't be seeing Nora Wellington riding on her horse toward his estate.
But it was, and James knew something was wrong. He felt it deep in his bones. Rushing from his office, he tore downstairs and burst through the front door. "Nora!"
Nora nearly jumped from her horse the moment he came to a stop. Lifting her skirt, she rushed toward her Duke, practically throwing her arms around his neck. Her lips came crashing down upon his with a kiss that had them both breathless.
James was momentarily surprised, but then kissed her back with equal passion. He held her against him tightly, and then came away. His hands moved to caress her face. "What the hell are you doing here? It's the middle of the night."
Nora. "I was desperate to see you. I needed to apologize for how I've been acting."
James caressed her cheek. "You don't need to apologize darling, I understand how you're feeling."
Nora shook her head. "But I have been pushing you away your grace, I don't wish to do that any longer."
James had his groomsmen put Nora's horse into the stables before leading her inside. He took her upstairs and into his bedroom, closing the door behind them. He took her into his arms, holding her close, running his fingers up and down her back. "My sweet love, you have endured a very traumatic event. I understand why you wish to push me away, I will respect your boundaries."
Nora came away to look him dead in the eyes. "I don't want to push you away any longer. Unless you wish to end our courtship. If you do, I understand."
James shook his head fiercely, his arms tightening around her. "No, I don't wish to end our courtship. I want to continue it. I care very deeply for you, and I want to show you that."
Nora caressed his cheek. "And I care very deeply for you. And I don't want to end our courtship either. But I am so frightened that Lord Hastings might try and ruin me."
James growled, his eyes becoming dark with anger. "He won't, I've made sure of it. I will keep you safe and protected. I promise you that."
Nora exhaled with relief before pressing her lips against his. She kissed him sweetly, her arms going around his neck. She opened her mouth with pure submission, feeling his tongue dive between her lips.
James moaned with pure pleasure, his tongue gently swirling with hers. Picking her up, he carried her to the bed, placing her down gently onto it. His hands instinctively began unbuttoning her gown, each pearl button sliding loose beneath his fingers. Within moments, her breasts were exposed to him beneath her shift.
By this point, Nora had unbuttoned his shirt, revealing his smooth and sculpted chest and abdomen. Her fingertips moved across his skin, caressing it tenderly.
Feeling as if his body was going to explode, James removed his shirt, tossing it to the floor. His hands moved to the straps of her shift, carefully lowering them down her arms until her breasts were exposed. He pulled back, his dark brown eyes staring down at her with desire. "You are beautiful."
Nora was staring at him, her blue gold eyes shining with her own desire. "You are ravishing."
James removed her shift, leaving her only in her drawers. He felt his cock straining against his trousers, and he groaned. Bloody hell, he was wanting to make love to her right then and there. But he wouldn't, not until the time was right.
Nora looked at him with concern. "Are you in pain?"
James shook his head. "No, no I am well. It's just... I am wanting desperately to make love to you, but I know neither one of us are ready yet."
Nora. "We don't have to make love tonight your grace. However... I would like to feel you against me. At least the top half."
James smiled softly. "I desire the same thing my love."