chapter twelve

chapter twelve | you should stay behind

Hyunjin received a new mission from the boss and immediately told his members.

"I still don't get it, why would we need to go to Taiwan just to race there?" Yoshi asked, "We can race here and it'd all be the same."

"We have to pick up a package there as well, so racing is a sort of camouflage for the actual mission," Hyunjin explained.

"What type of package is it if we need to go all the way to Taiwan to get it?" Aeri asked.

"The package is currently with Tzuyu, so I'm guessing it's some type of a weapon," Hyunjin shrugged, "I wasn't given the details though, because I was told to stay."

"What are you talking about?" Jihoon asked.

"I'm not going with you this time, Jihoon will be the leader while you guys are there." Hyunjin informed, "If you need anything feel free to call me, but I'm not sure I'll be of much help."

"Why aren't you going with us?" Jihoon seemed sad, he never liked being the leader, but whenever Hyunjin wasn't on missions, that role would become his because he was the second oldest.

"Boss needs me here for the next three weeks, so I can't go," Hyunjin explained briefly, even though he knew that wasn't the whole truth.

"Then we'll make sure to call you every day," Chaewon piped in. Everyone nodded, and Hyunjin could only fake a laugh after hearing Chaewon's words.

Of course she'd quote me, it's not like anyone associates it with bad things anyway. Hyunjin scoffed, but it came out as a chuckle, just as he wanted.

"I'll be waiting for you guys to call me then," he smiled at the others, "Make sure to behave well, I don't want any casualties, okay?" after a chorus of 'yes, sir', Hyunjin left them to prepare for the mission.

"I can't believe we're going to Taiwan!" Aeri exclaimed.

"You seem overly excited about it," Yoshi commented while looking at her with bored eyes.

"I've been there once, I met this cute guy there, but I never caught his name," Aeri stated rather sad at the memory of him running away as soon as his mother called, but there was nothing she could do at the time.

"Sir, why do I have to stay behind? I don't trust Chaewon alone with them." Hyunjin complained to the boss, who only dismissed the thought of sending him on the mission.

"I am aware of your past with the new member, Hyunjin, but she is a great addition to the team." the man replied, "I wanted to send them alone with her to show you that you can trust her. I am sure that if I were to send you, there would be some conflict between you two, and since Taiwan isn't exactly my territory, I couldn't keep an eye on you."

"Even still, is it a good idea to send them to a foreign country without a leader?" Hyunjin questioned.

"Are you questioning my ways, Hwang?" the boss raised his voice a little which made Hyunjin bow his head.

"No sir, I just tend to worry for my members," Hyunjin replied, "They are my family, anyway."

"Then stay here, for both your and their good."