Chapter 9

Mahmoud saw gray-white clouds from missile strikes and spied his little brother Waleed, who was sitting on the floor in front of the TV. Mahmoud snatched him up and took him away from the cliff's edge. Waleed's eyes were alive, but empty. Mahmoud's mother cried and pulled them both into a hug. Mahmoud's mother pushed them all toward the door, but Waleed pulled back.

Mahmoud grabbed Hana's hand and dragged Waleed with him to the front door, but Waleed pulled back. Mahmoud grabbed Hana's hand and dragged Waleed with him to the front door, but Waleed pulled back. The Sarraf family filled the corridor. Mahmoud, Waleed, and Hana are trapped in a building that has been hit by missiles and bombs. Mahmoud, Waleed, and Hana rush to the back stairs of the building, where they are greeted by their mother, who is carrying their school backpacks.

Mahmoud's father, an engineer with a mobile phone company, is working on trying to fix the phones, but if his father had been hit by one of the missiles or bombs, he would be dead. Mahmoud's mother, who is carrying their school backpacks, is worried about her son's safety.
--------------------
Mahmoud and his brother Waleed were separated by a wall that used to be his apartment. Mahmoud was sitting in front of the TV, surrounded by gray-white clouds from missile strikes. He was about to move when his mother intervened, demanding to keep them away. With the help of their mother, Mahmoud was able to drag Hana around and put her in his arms. His mother then pushed them all towards the door, instructing them to take their brother and sister with them.

Mahmoud and his brother Waleed were walking together when an unknown building collapsed, causing them to escape. Mahmoud managed to call out for help, but no one came to help. The building collapsed and a kitchen on the top floor began to tip towards the street, eventually collapsing and entering Mahmoud's apartment.