Chapter 3 - Coffee Date

Park Minji

4:25. 'Aish.' The leader opened the visor mirror and looked herself over one last time. Her hair and makeup were still done from the shoot and yeah, she looked good. It was a true shame to put a hat and mask on but she did it anyway. Kyungsoo stopped her before she closed the car door, "I'll be at a table right out here, okay?"

Minji smiled and nodded. "Got it, thank you."

The place was relatively quiet and the bell that signaled her entrance didn't draw much attention besides from the staff. They called out a welcome and she gave a polite wave in acknowledgement. The cafe was small and plants covered any and every open surface. Large potted trees that were who knows how old, reached up towards the ceiling, their foliage almost creating a canopy over the whole room. It was quiet, cozy, and private and for those reasons it had long ago become their regular meet up spot.

Katsu was easy to spot in the back corner, where he said he'd be, and where he always was. Minji took a moment to admire her friend, his long legs extended under the table, ankles crossed casually and his baseball cap pushed back on his head. A blush crept over her cheeks and signaled it was time to keep moving. The boy had a book on the table but was locked in on his phone and didn't even notice when she walked up.

Minji covered her mouth with a hand and made her voice higher, whisper yelling like a stan, "OMO! Is that KAT from DO:ZEN!?"

Katsu's eyes instantly flew up in panic, "I..." he placed a hand over his heart and put on an offended voice when he recognized her. "I have your favorite coffee ready and waiting for you and this is the thanks I get?"

Minji laughed and felt the butterflies in her stomach from his smooth, low voice and thoughtful gesture. As she sat they both took their black masks off. "Thank you," she took a sip and then paused to inhale the earthy tones of her coffee. "Just what I needed." She nodded to his phone, "what were you looking at?"

He tucked his earbuds in their case and was grateful for the excuse to avoid eye contact, "I was watching your interview." He blushed as he spoke. "I got through the group one and I'm about a quarter of the way through your individual."

'He was watching my interview!?' A giggle escaped her, "thank you for being such a faithful LevLuv Katkun." She placed a hand on his forearm that was resting on the table. While she was teasing him she truly was grateful for all of his support and encouragement.

✨flashback✨

Katsu sighed on his way to the practice room. It was late and he had just finishing his first day at JYP. Another long 'test' and more negative feedback about his vocals. He had just come to JYP after 5 years at SM and man he was tired. Yes his muscles hurt, but it was more than that. Five years at this with no success and here he was starting over.  And today was more of the same. Dancing? Crushed it. Rapping? Crushed it. Vocals? Mid. He knew he should immediately practice his vocals but he just wanted the comfort of dancing. It had always been an escape for him. The music, the beat, the flow, the creativity, it was bliss.

He was doom scrolling through Twitter, looking down at his phone when he opened the practice room door and was met with music. Immediately freezing, he looked up and made eye contact with a girl who was dancing in the mirror. She was stunning. The song was fast and so was she. Her long, black hair was down and whipping around soft her face and her movements were smooth. She reminded him of a flowing river. The mystery girl looked about his age and he couldn't take his eyes off of her. The boy let the door close quietly behind him and leaned against the wall while studying her movements as she finished the song.

As soon as the song ended he clapped enthusiastically for her. "You're a really talented dancer, your moves are so fluid, it was beautiful to watch."

The girl laughed and bowed, "Thank you! I didn't expect an audience at this hour."