chapter six: today was a fairytale

❝once upon a time, a few mistakes ago, I was in your sights, you got me alone

❝once upon a time, a few mistakes ago, I was in your sights, you got me alone......❞

HELEN OF TROY - LORDE

WC: 3.8K

❃゜・。. ・°゜✼ ゜°・ . 。・゜❃

CHAPTER SIX: TODAY WAS A FAIRYTALE

❃゜・。. ・°゜✼ ゜°・ . 。・゜❃

Harry

Tonight, underneath all of the amber colored lights, everyone is dressed to the nines, in masks that cover who they are, even more than normal. But somehow, even at this autumn ball, the masks that people normally wear seem to crack, showing their true selves, imperfect, messy. Unadulterated chaos, something I never thought I'd see from the future leaders of our countries. Regardless, I am one of them, I am their leader, and even though they will show who they truly are on this hallows eve, I stay tucked into the shadows. Sworn to secrecy, simply because of this circlet of jewels and gold on my head. I gulp down a deep breath, fearing it's the last one I'll take before I dive deep into the thick of it.

Nonetheless, I slap fresh smile on my face and smooth it down as I rub my face as if it will coax a real smile onto it, contorting the muscles into false safety. I shakily hold a cigarette between my lips in the theatre room bathroom, breathing in the toxins as I immediately relax as they spread through my body. I walk out cooly, my chin held high, so high I'm nearly looking at the ceiling lights as I spot Dorothea outside of the bathroom, fiddling with the sapphire 'engagement' ring I gave her at the beginning of the school year, yet she smiles when she sees me.