v. phone calls

NEW YORK CITY
JULY 3rd 2022

     Sofía usually wasn't one to dwell on past events. Whether they were embarrassing moments, failed opportunities or even breakups. She was always pretty good at putting things behind her and moving on. Which is why it's was increasingly difficult for her to understand why the hell her mind was still so caught up on Carlos Sainz.

It had been almost a year since they had broken up, and she still found herself wishing for him. Still found herself craving him, wanting him near. Wanting him back. Even though she knew it was all for the best, things between them just hadn't been working anymore.

What Sofía also knew is that Carlos had long moved on, he had a new girlfriend now and he seemed happy. She looked like the perfect girl for him; sweet, beautiful, kind. Most importantly, she was around for him. Ever since the new season started, all Sofía had seen of Carlos was pictures of him with his girlfriend.

It hurt, a lot.

What made it hurt ten times worse is how she kept seeing them on Sky Sports as she watched the race that weekend with her dad. It was something Sofía had usually avoided when she could since the breakup, but it had always been her and Logan's thing to do together. So, when he had asked her to come over for lunch and to watch the British Grand Prix with him, Sofía couldn't find it in her to decline.

"It feels like I barely see you anymore, kid." her father chuckles as he greets her by the door. "I know you're a cool pop star now, but I'm still your dad."

Sofía rolls her eyes at her fathers dramatics, making her way into the kitchen where he had laid out some snacks. "Stop complaining old man, I'm here."

It was grilled burgers and homemade animal fries for the father and daughter today, their regular meal ok race days. Gabriella was back in Spain on a business trip and visiting their family, otherwise she would've been sat down on that couch with them that afternoon.

Carlos was starting on pole today, his first time ever being in that spot. Sofía had her fingers crossed the whole morning for him; even if she couldn't be there with him anymore, she would always support him. And she wanted nothing more than for him to get that first win. He deserved it more than anything.

"How have you been since...?" Logan cleared his throat, setting down two bottles of beer on the coffee table.

She didn't really understand why they did it, but neither of her parents had dared utter the 'b' word around her. Maybe they thought she would fall apart, that she couldn't handle hearing it. For the most pet, they were right. But for that other small part, she knew how to keep herself together in front of people. Unless they were Isla or Claudia or someone she was writing with in the studio, specifically writing about him.

"I'm fine, dad." Sofía huffs, taking hold of her bowl of fries. "The breakup was amicable, you know that."

"I also know that's just what you like to tell people." her father retorts, turning the volume up on the TV as the drivers take their position on the grid. "But, I won't push you. As long as you're happy, I'll be fine."

That was the end of that topic. She hated bringing up Carlos around her family, they had loved him almost as much as she had and that was probably the worst part of their mutual parting. Sofía hadn't wanted them to think badly of him either afterwards, which is why she had always been quick to dismiss any bad ideas they had surrounding their relationship and their breakup.

Verstappen had almost immediately overtaken Carlos at the start, Logan letting out a frustrated yell at the fact. It didn't last long though as the Williams made contact with one of the other cars, the blue car flying into the gravel while the other had completely abandoned all concept of gravity and headed straight for the barriers.