dance practices and ramen dates

monday, april 14

monday, april 14

━***━

Woo Nari:

Few experiences are more demanding than dancing for Somang Prep's dance team. Under the reign of the ice queen Woo Nari, who won't settle for anything less than perfection, most dancers only last a few months, and by the time April comes along, only the best, strongest dancers remain.

At dance practice, Nari explains the intricate steps of a contemporary dance piece she choreographed for the Spring Showcase.

"This piece aims to capture the delicate beauty of blooming flowers in the springtime," Nari scans the room. "Your footwork must be light, yet controlled."

Recently, after the coach took a backseat due to her pregnancy, Nari has taken on additional responsibilities, including choreographing and teaching pieces.

As the practice wears on, tension fills the atmosphere. Nari walks around the room analyzing each student, calling out mistakes.

"You're late, Minji," Nari scolds, her face mere inches away from Minji's, causing Minji to hiccup.

"Focus, Jumi, your hand gestures are lazy and messy," Nari sounds with a clap.

With Nari's every word, impatience permeates the already thick and uncomfortable air. Students' minds drift towards more imminent things: homework and exams. However, these thoughts remain thoughts. No one dares to complain.

Until year four student Im Hari — arguably the best dancer on the team second to Nari — nudges another year four student Seok Hana. "She's crazy," Hari whispers.

"We already knew that," Hana giggles.

"She needs to chill. It's a show, it's not that deep. I have a Physics exam tomorrow," Hari whispers again.

"Right? She always acts everyone's top priority is dance, but obviously it's not," Hana says.

Their laughter echoes, breaking the pin-drop silence. Nari turns her head like an owl, making piercing eye contact with the two girls. As she approaches them, she holds her gaze.

"Hana. Hari. Do you have feedback for the team?" Nari asks.

"...No," Hari mutters.

"Do you know the whole piece, Hari?" Nari asks.

"...I think so."

"You think so?" Nari turns her head to Hana.

"Why don't you two perform the piece for the class. You are the most experienced dancers on the team," Nari says. After Hari and Hana finish, Nari lists at least 15 mistakes they made nonchalantly, as if she could go on and on about how they could improve.