Dallas

I woke up at 7:15, enough time to prepare for my first day of school. 1st period stats, 9:30 so I have more than an hour to get ready. I take a quick shower, and then braid my hair in 2 dutch braids that Es taught me to do. I decided to wear my HAWAII sleeveless shirt since here in LA it's 87 degrees in August. And I put on some new ripped jeans me and my mom got from an American store, American Eagle. Finally, I added a traditional beaded hawaiian necklace, and slipped on my yellow converse. I put on my old, dirty red backpack and call for my mom upstairs. Minutes later I arrive at school.

"This seems 3 times bigger than your school before." Says my mom looking out all around the school from her mirror.

"Mhm" I responded.

"Well have a good day!" She says kissing my forehead, as I open the door. Just as I stepped out of the car, a loud RINGGGG sound blasts out from the school. Great, first day and I'm already late. I think to myself. I then spot a middle aged man with a bald head gesturing to a group of boys inside the campus. I walk up to him, thinking he's an admin.

"Excuse me. I'm new here and it's my first day, and I need some help finding my classroom.''

"Oh well, yeah sure, I'll show you to the office and they'll figure something out from there.''

I smile and nod as he leads me to big maroon doors that lead to an air conditioned room with 2 huge desks on each side. The attendance clerk makes sure I'm checked in, and a TA leads me to my classroom.

"Room SCI 3, right here." Says the TA girl. We get inside and the girl has a short chat with the man, who, I'm guessing is the teacher. A minute later, the TA girl leaves and the teacher starts talking to me.

"I'm Mr. Prestedge, and your... Sandra. Correct?" I nod my head. I can feel everyone staring. He leads me to an empty desk on the side of the front, facing a red headed boy.

"You can sit here for now until I switch the class's seating chart." He says smiling at me. "That's Colten." He says pointing to the red-headed boy. "And that's Rachel." He says looking at the girl sitting right next to me. I could barely see her because he black hair was on her face.

"CLASS. This is Sandra, help her if you can around the school if you have the same schedule." He yells at the class and returns to his desk. I keep my head down at my desk and look around the room, almost everyone is looking at me. By the end of class. I look at the map of the school that's stapled to the wall, looking for my next class.

"Do you need help finding your class?" Asks a girl with brown hair.

"Yeah." I responded. She gestures to my schedule in my hand and I hand it to her. She examines it, and says, "My friend has next period with you, she can take you there if you like." I nod, eager to not be late.

"JANA!" The brown haired girl yells. A pretty black girl walks up to us stuffing her folder into her backpack.

"Sandra has next period with you, take her there." says the girl.

"Okay jeez." Says Jana. "NOT YOU. I mean Leilani here." The brown haired girl who's name I guess now is Leinani rolls her eyes and leaves the classroom.

Me and Jana walk out together through the crowd of students.

"Why is the campus outdoors?" I ask

"All high schools and middle schools in California are like this. I don't even know why." Says Jana. "Where'd you move from?"

"Hawaii"

"DANG! HAWAII. What is it like there?"

"Humid. All the time. Yet breezy."