Chapter Thirty One

Cerberus winced, clutching his ribcage with one hand. Blood was soaking through his disguise and dripping on the floor. He cursed internally, it was going to leave a trail. Looking around, the Lord spotted an old rag placed neatly on a stool. Quickly stuffing it under his shirt and pressing against the wound, he took a minute to survey his surroundings. An oven in the corner of the room still alive with bright red embers burning against black ash told Cerberus that he had landed in the kitchen.

Countertops lining the room had different dishes neatly placed for the new day, a turkey ready to be carved, fresh pastries for the Lord and Lady, some bread with a crisp golden crust lay crackling in front of the fire. Fruit with drops of water beading on their skins lay in a big wooden bowl. This told him they were washed recently. Cerberus groaned as he propped himself up. He needed to move fast, whoever was preparing breakfast would be back soon. Grabbing at another rag he attempted to crudely clean himself up, mopping up the trail of blood running down his shirt and pooling on the floor below. It took a few moments for the wound to stop leaking but by the graces of someone up in the stars looking after him, it eventually finished. Lord Cerberus grunted as he willed his legs to move, dragging himself to the kitchen door and cracking it open to peer out.

He was on the first floor of the castle and people were starting to stir. He huffed, annoyed. His disguise was blown and trying to run out in the open without a weapon would be a suicide mission. His sword was with Kendra and he'd lost his knife slipping in the kitchen window. In the hallway, he saw several servants begin to make their rounds. A young woman with an apron splattered in flour made Cerberus nervous as she moved closer to his hiding place, a pile of napkins gripped in her hand. Scanning the room, he spotted a carving knife sticking out of the turkey. Wobbling over, he wedged the knife out with his good hand and made his way back to the door, flattening himself against the wall, waiting for his victim to get closer.

The woman looked focused as she stumbled, the pile of napkins teetering precariously on her outstretched palm. She was so engrossed in her mundane task, she didn't notice the intruder eyeing her from the crack in the door. Keeping her gaze on the top of the stack, the servant leaned down, reaching clumsily for the doorknob, fumbling to find it. Lord Cerberus twirled the knife eagerly in his hand, holding his breath.

"Fallon!" The young woman sighed as she carefully stood and walked over to another servant standing in the middle of the hallway. The Lord let out a relieved breath.

"What is it Eve?" the young woman answered, irritated, keeping her focus on the napkins.

"The attendants set the table all wrong! I tried to tell them about the silverware, I did. I told them Lord Terrowin needed his fork on the left side because he's left handed. But they didn't listen and now everything is on the right, not to mention the plates are the wrong color for breakfast and-"

"Eve!" Fallon snapped, finally tearing her eyes away from her pile to look at the other woman. "Just show me."

The other woman nodded and helped Fallon separate a few napkins, taking half the stack. Once the exchange was done the two women skittered off through a nearby door. Lord Cerberus smiled, the hallway was now empty and the fates were kind.

Slinking out of the door he made his way down the hallway, keeping a wary eye on the wooden doors that lined either side. If anyone was in the hall, footsteps would give them away but anyone who opened a door would see him vulnerable and out in the open. His ears burned when he heard a nearby voice, speaking in low murmurs. Trying his best not to make a sound, he looked for an out. There. A few feet away a vase on a table was displayed, glinting egotistically for onlookers to admire. To enhance its splendor, the walls around it had been carved out to create a little room for the elaborately designed pottery. Seizing his chance the Lord did his best to swiftly nestle himself behind the small wall, tucking his body in the corner. Outside, he could hear the voices getting closer, until they were inches away from him. Cerberus heard the heavy footsteps stop. He tried to control his breaths that were now coming out in short ragged bursts, reacting to the rib cracked beneath his skin.