Chapter Forty Two

Allister paced back and forth, pausing to wipe a sweaty hand across his face in frustration. Clumps of brown hair peeked out from underneath his crown and hung loosely over his face, creating a border around his eyes with cracked with red lines. It was taking every ounce of self-control the King had not to burst out crying on the spot. Around him, several attendants flitted around the Queen who was desperately clinging to life.

Elena looked ghostly pale as she convulsed on her bed, eyes rolling back in her head. Practically naked except for a pale white slip drenched in sweat, the Queen thrashed against her bed, yelling strings of incoherent sentences. Her other clothes lay discarded on the floor in the corner of the room, forgotten about in all the chaos. Caspian felt a pit of dread weigh heavily like a stone in the base of his stomach as he crossed over to the Queen, placing a delicate hand on her forehead. Allister paced relentlessly behind him. Steadying her with his touch, the warlock tilted Elena's head and frowned. Nestled in the Queen's ear was a small drop of bright black liquid that had streaked across her skin. He'd only seen a liquid with this rich color once before.

"Well, what's wrong with her?" Allister screamed out of frustration, causing everyone in the room to come to a grinding stop. He hoped somehow it wasn't what he already knew to be true. Caspian hung his head a little as he stood to face the King. Allister knew damn well what was wrong with her. If he was choosing to go in denial now, there would be no saving him from himself.

"Poison," Caspian sighed, crossing his arms. "Your Majesty, she's been poisoned with henbane." The warlock flinched when the King, eyes wide with fury, took a threatening step towards him.

"Are you sure?"

Caspian took a deep breath as he stared down the King. He knew they were thinking the same thing. Artemis. Caspian narrowed his eyes. If he hurt one hair on her head, King or not, by all the gods, he'd kill him. Allister looked taken aback by Caspian's cold gaze but softened when he realized what the warlock was doing. If it was Elena, he'd protect her just as fiercely.

Caspian nodded in response to his question. Feeling the pressure of dozens of nervous eyes in the room all holding their breaths in tense anticipation, Allister managed to give Caspian a little smile. He assured himself it was hemlock he'd seen that night, there was no henbane in the witch's room. She was innocent, for now he'd bide his time.

"Who would do this?" he screamed with bravado, pushing past Caspian to kneel beside his Queen. Caspian closed his eyes and let out a thankful sigh of relief he didn't know he was holding.

Allister kissed Elena's hand fervently, letting one tear slip from the corner of his eye. He desperately searched her face for a sign of life, rubbing his thumb roughly over her knuckles. She looked so helpless. Whoever did this-

"How long will it take to cure her?" he barked, hearing his voice crack under the weight of his desperation.

Caspian ran a hand through his messy hair, turning to face Allister. "Poison is difficult, your Highness. It's not as easy as healing a physical injury. I'm going to need a bit of the poison to create an antidote and we better hurry," he watched as Allister tousled the Queen's hair, monitoring her shallow breaths going in and out, like he was preparing himself for them to stop. "The longer we wait, the harder it will be for me to bring her back from the brink of death."

Elena burst with some more chatter, throwing her head out of her husband's grasp. Allister felt his sadness melt into fury.

"I thought your powers were unlimited," he scowled, frustrated. For a savior, the reincarnation of the sun god was proving to be a bit useless. He grabbed an idle hand of the Queen's and rubbed small circles on the knuckles.