Part 9: Naked Guy in a Hedge

Gillian and I had a long chat while drinking more than one beer, something I knew I was going to regret later.

I still felt like I'd chased a rabbit and fallen down a hole, emerging into a different world. The regulars at the tavern seemed different in their interactions with me too. They've always been friendly, but I was receiving way more attention than usual.

Frank came over, shook my hand vigorously and exclaimed, "I am pleased as can be. I hate brussel sprouts, always have." Weston even winked and smiled at me before reverting back to his resting ferret face, and I'm sure that Frank has a tail.

After our drinking chat, Gillian dropped me off at home, and I fell asleep almost immediately. I barely had the energy to change into my pyjamas.

And then I dreamt... about Gran.

I woke up to the smell of chamomile tea and dust, and that is how I got to this point, where I'm now getting ready to go to Gran's cottage again. I'm going to clean the place and maybe even do some gardening. Yay, me!

"Holly, today there will be no tears and concussions. You have a job to do," I tell myself as I make a cup of coffee. "Remember your lunch and your phone," I add as I stir the steaming contents of my favourite mug.

I pack my basket, making my phone and sandwiches a priority, oh, and coffee! Yes, we should never forget the coffee! Empires have imploded because people forgot to pack their coffee!

My phone beeps loudly in the basket just as I'm about to take a sip of caffeine goodness, and, sighing, I take it out to check my messages and see that it is from Gillian. "Hols. I'll give you a ride to your Gran's cottage today. Bella is ready to go home. I can drop her off too."

Oh, great! I forgot that Miss Loudmouth lives in Gran's cottage. Yay!

"Okay, just grabbing some things. Will be downstairs in a minute," I reply and slip the phone back into the basket, hastily drinking as much of my coffee as I can before I grab my hoodie and head downstairs. Gillian is already waiting for me, and I can hear her and Bella having an argument. Maybe I should rather sneak around the back and run away before they see me. Walking to the cottage will be good for me.

"Holly! Holly! Help! Squawk!"

Nevermind. I roll my eyes and get into the car.

Gillian drops me off at the cottage with an annoyed Bella squawking in the cage. Yes, of course, we had the poor thing in a cage during the trip. The bird is a nuisance and extremely accident-prone. We'd prefer to make it to the cottage without having to make another trip to the clinic with an injured bird.

Carrying the heavy cage in one hand and my basket in the other, I approach the cottage door slowly. Before I can even think about putting anything down to find my keys and unlock the door, it swings open.

Huh?!

I cautiously enter the cottage, pleasantly surprised that it doesn't smell like mould and dust as much as it did yesterday. Has someone been cleaning in here?

"Hi!" a greeting surprises me, and I nearly jump out of the tiny window next to the door. Ysolde is sitting on the table. "Oh, my word. Aren't you the jumpy one?" she laughs. "Oh, come on. It was funny."

I shake my head and put the heavy cage down on the table, and lower my basket to the floor. "Did you... open the door just now?" I ask as I open the cage for Bella.

"Yup, that was me. You're welcome."

"How? You're a-"

"Elf princess disguised as a bearded dragon. I used magic, duh," she grins.