Chapter 10 - The agreement

VINCE'S POV

According to the medjacks, the man who first got the disease died, but in such a brutal way.. When they made an autopsy it looked as if his heart and lungs turned black something close to those cranks.. I couldn't imagine the pain he must've felt, and the fact that he couldn't scream or tell someone hurts even more..

I knew the same was bound to happen to that poor woman in just a few days.. If Newt has something to do with it, I must find out, for the sake of the safe haven.. We saved some blood samples of the man, and buried him peacefully..

NEWT'S POV

After hearing the man died, I paid my respects but before leaving the man rose up..

I froze in shock as the man's eyes looked at me as black as a cranks eye.. He lunged at me, I was able yo dodge and move him to a different direction, but that didn't stop him..

The other Gladers quickly came to my aid, but the man had disappeared. We searched the entire safe haven, but he was nowhere to be found.

It was then that Vince approached me, his expression grim. "Newt," he said, "I need to ask you something. Do you have anything to do with this disease?"

I was taken aback by his question. "What? No, of course not! Why would you even think that?"

Vince looked at me, his eyes searching for any sign of guilt or deception. "I've been watching you for days, Newt. I know it's not much, but I need to know if you're involved in this somehow."

I shook my head, feeling hurt and betrayed. "I swear to you, Vince, I have nothing to do with this. Please, you have to believe me."

Vince hesitated for a moment before nodding. "Okay, I believe you. But we still need to find out what's causing this disease and stop it before it's too late."

I nodded in agreement, feeling relieved that Vince had finally believed me. Together, we joined forces with the other Gladers to find a cure for the mysterious illness that was plaguing our community.