Chapter 6: Pressing Forward

The moment Amber woke up, she knew she had to reach Maddie as quickly as possible. In the middle of Rafe's sleep, Amber looked at his phone and read his messages to John, Alex, and Jake. Her only option after reading everything was to scream, but once the anger subsided, she turned Rafe's phone off and left instead, calling the airport right when she exited the hotel room to book the first flight to Canada. When Amber got off the plane, a hysterical Jessie awaited her. Amber embraced Jessie tightly as she told Amber, "Amber, I'm so sorry I failed and lost them."

"Don't worry," Amber interrupted her. "They are at Niagra Falls, but we have to go and catch them before they enter the falls themselves."

"Then what are we waiting for?" Jessie said.

"Well, we will keep that hugging thing here so the dynamic of all this crap isn't thrown off more," Amber stated.

"Agreed," Jessie replied with relief. With that, Amber and Jessie rushed to the falls disguised as tourists. As they walked, all Amber could think was how sorry she felt for leaving Maddie. As Amber thought this, her eyes made contact with a couple, Jake and Maddie. Maddie had Jake's jacket around her snugly, and then the next thing she saw was Jake pull his phone out. He pulled Maddie closer and posed as if he was taking a picture. Amber elbowed Jessie, and the closest guy next to her out of the way, and both saw Maddie relax in his arms, playing straight into Jake's plan. When Amber and Jessie saw Maddie and Jake startled, they yelled, "STOP!" They saw them startled, then the worst happened. In an instant, Maddie and Jake fell into the falls after bumping into the rusty railing behind them, causing it to collapse.

"No!" Amber yelled as Jessie began to cry hysterically, believing she lost her sister to a watery death. Amber heard a slight pop behind them and turned to see that Rafe had magically appeared. He was grinning from ear to ear. Amber let her anger take control and rounded on him, screaming in his face,

"Was this your plan Rafe, for them to die!"

"No, cause they're not dead Amber." Rafe replied, unphased by her lash-out.

"What the fuck do you mean Rafe?! It's a fucking 200-foot drop into a freaking roaring waterfall, of course they're dead!"

"Again, they're not dead they're just... traveling in time." This statement put Jessie and Amber in a shocked stupor. Rafe grand a sickeningly sweet smile, then disappeared magically as the girls exclaimed, "What!" in unison. After a moment, Amber said, "Now it makes sense."

"What makes sense Amber? None of this makes any sense" Jessie stated a bit exasperated.

"Niagra Falls is known as the most magical place on earth, right?" Amber asked her.

"Yes" Jessie reluctantly replied.

"It's not because of its beauty though that contributes to it, it's because it's actually magical." Amber let that sink in for Jessie and once Jessie processed the information, each girl began to call the others, explain the situation, and tell them to get to Canada as soon as possible. After all the calls were made and flights were booked, Amber looked at Jessie and asked, "Well, what now?"

Jessie immediately perked up and replied, "Either finish exploring and getting souvenirs like... I want to get a beaver tail I heard they're really good. Or we can return to the hotel and wait for the others. "

Amber looked confused, but realizing she also needed something to eat, she replied, "Alright, let's go get some beaver tails." Jessie jumped up and clapped her hands excitedly as Amber rolled her eyes and began walking.

"OMG, OMG, We're alive, Jake, we're alive. Jake, Jake, JAKE!" Maddie said, then began to panic as she didn't see Jake anywhere. Maddie looked around frantically and then felt hands around her waist. She quickly turned around and saw Jake. She hugged him immediately, and they held each other in the water briefly. Then she pulled away and punched him in the arm as hard as she could, screaming, "Don't you dare scare me like that again Jake Albert Cummbee"