Chapter 3: Too Many Puns

Maddie woke in the weaponry room with Jake on her right and Rafe on her left. They both looked very depressed and worried at the same time. They were whispering in hushed tones. Jake then drew a breath and said, "Rafe, this is stupid. What are we doing this for... She's clearly out like a light."

"You're right Jake but all the evidence say's that spell could've killed her but it didn't. I've read and practiced every spell known to the magical race and know every effect, side effect, and what can prohibit it from fulfilling it's purpose."

So.. what do you conclude."

"So... I did the scan to see if she has magic and somehow, unknowingly, magically counteracted the spell but only found out there is not a magical bone in her body."

"Not an once of magic or magical residue is in her at all Rafe."

"Not even a drop."

"So what does this mean? If Magic didn't stop it... what did?"

"Either Reen did the spell wrong and she got lucky or... there was some type of outside force actively prohibiting the spell from it's intention and she got lucky once again."

"Can luck in general be and active outside force?"

"Yes Jake but only on a few people and the only logical explanation for this is that luck... as an active outside force... saved her life."

Both of them were quiet, then Jake replied, confused, "But I thought her luck ran out when she was cursed. It definitely seemed like it when I left."

"I thought so too Jake but clearly... it's evident that it didn't."

"Could a dead parent or friend be and outside force."

"Yes but they'd have to be attached to he a t the moment it happened. Plus no good spirit no matter the connection can be in here because we have a ghost room."

"And they'd be trapped in there until the person come's to talk."

"Yep, you got that right." Maddie tried to sit up as she thought, 'My luck did in fact run out... look at me I'm a mess!'

The boys helped her sit up, and she asked, "So... what happened here?"

"Too much." The boys replied in unison, the worry fading from their faces. Rafe then left, leaving Jake and Maddie alone. Jake snapped his fingers, and an apple appeared. Finally, after thinking, he said, "This is for you 'cause you're the apple of my eye."

Maddie choked on laughter, then smiled and said, "Thanks Jake."

Then Rafe arrived and sat. They were all quiet. Maddie just held the apple thinking about breaking the ice. she noticed the weird clock in the room. It had eyes that moved and a mouth at the bottom. "Family heirloom." Rafe said. Then she heard a growl. It was emitting from the clock. She paused, then Rafe said. "It look's like it's hungry. When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds so can I have the apple." Maddie quickly handed Rafe the Apple. He Threw it at the clock, and the mouth opened, and it ate the apple. Then they were all quiet again. Finally, Maddie said, "I wish we could go back to the start of all of this."

"It's time to let it go, Maddie," Jake said sadly. "Though I do, to"

"Every morning is a dawn of a new era," Rafe replied

"So... we're just going to sit here, in this house... and be awkward," Maddie said

'"Every morning is a dawn of a new era." Rafe said, grinning. Maddie was so confused. Then she said, "Have either of you found Amber? Is she fine...."

Rafe and Jake grinned then Jake said, " You see Mad... Reen, he had a photographic memory that was never developed."

"See, he told us that since we dream in color it's only a pigment of our imagination."