Chapter 1: The Morning

Amber felt awful. She had finished her water and didn't dare eat, causing a terrible stomach cramp. Amber also realized somewhere along the way that she was fighting a war where she was on both sides. It was the worst feeling she had ever encountered, and she didn't know what to do about it. So, she did nothing. Nothing except make herself feel bad about leaving... and walking. She walked miles and miles for hours, day and night, not knowing her real destination but going somewhere. She realized how stupid this was when she left the safety of the safe house and the care of her friends and family to keep them safe. But there were other safe houses she could claim, and they would have enough provisions for her for at least three years.

She had already figured out that the fewer people in the safe house, the longer the provisions would last. The only problem is she'd have to find the right ones. Each safe place had equipment, but each kid had a key to each safe house. So far, she had found one for her, which she claimed, and one for Blake. She missed her brother, especially when she picked on him and tried to get on his nerves, but it didn't work because he was cool with it. She also missed her best friend, Maddie. She had great advice, fantastic guidance, and a fun spirit. She was also the best partner for prank wars and a great helper in picking on her brother. She also knew Amber so well and would do anything for her friend. Amber felt the same, and that's why she had to leave.

Then the question started rolling in. "What if Jake or Rafe used her against Maddie?' She knew Maddie wouldn't hesitate to protect her, but that would be dangerous and harmful to herself. So, Amber decided to leave. All these thoughts swirled around in her head, and Amber's eyes began to sting. She saw a large black rock near the bank of the river. There she sat and began to cry.

Amber had left the safe house a little after midnight last night, but it felt like days ago. She had been aimlessly wandering in the thick forestry since then. Amber found her safe house in the first hour and encountered Rafe and Jake, who had seen the letter for Jake and began claiming his safe houses. She also found the river and couldn't help but think something important would happen there. Amber sat there and cried for fifteen minutes, then heard a noise a little farther down the stream. She used her magic, cleaned herself up, and then investigated what was causing the noise.

She followed the water for a quarter of a mile and saw a boy. He was poorly cut and trying to clean up. Amber felt a pang of guilt for the boy, and before she knew what she was doing, she dropped to her knees and began to heal him. The boy's shirt was torn to shreds, and his long brown hair hadn't been tamed for a few days. In other words, it was very rugged and uncouth, but his eyes were what got to her. His deep brown eyes were filled with the most profound sadness anyone could ever feel. Amber thought he looked like the boy Tarzan but shook the thought off and asked, "What happened to you... Are you OK?" she was done healing the cuts in his arms and had begun to heal the large gashes in his legs.

Once they were healed, the boy jumped up, meeting Amber's eyes, and said, "Safety now, questions later please say you own a safe house of your own."

Amber grinned and sarcastically said, "No I'm a traveler on my way back home to the south and what are these safe house thingies you're talking about."

The boy didn't catch what she was throwing and said, "Oh man, well we can't go to mine he'll attack again we'll have to win one by fighting a good person."

Amber laughed and said, "Are you playing dumb, or do you really believe I don't have a safe house."

"You just said..." He began, but Amber interrupted him and said, "Sarcasm." Amber wanted to say more, but then she noticed a figure approaching from far off.

She breathed, and the boy looked alarmed and asked, "What... What is it...Is it Rafe? Is he coming?" The closer the figure got, the faster Amber's heart beat and the more the figure looked like Rafe.