Iris and The Last Fight

Another two weeks flew by, and it was the middle of May. Life was good, the weather was nice, I spent a ton of time with my friends, and hung out with my dog.

Colton was busy all the time, for some reason, so I didn't see him much. He never told me what he was doing either. I wasn't suspicious though. I had no reason to believe he would lie to me, ever.

I would be seeing him Saturday night anyways. Audra was throwing a masquerade, and since attending a masquerade was on the list, we were all going. I had found a dress and a mask to wear, and they matched Colton's tie.

I was laying on the couch, flipping aimlessly through the channels, when my phone began to ring.

"Hello?" I said.

"Hey doll. It's Bradley, calling from Colton's house. We're all over here hanging out, and apparently, I was the only one to think of inviting you."

I was more then a little hurt that Colton hadn't invited me over, but had invited all of them.

"Well, doll," I said, mimicking him, "I'd be happy to come over. I need someone to come get me though, because I don't have a car."

"Gertrude! You have to go pick up Iris!" He yelled. To me, he said, "She's on her way. Later doll."

I hung up the phone and rushed up to the bathroom to fix my hair and makeup.

Ten minutes later, I heard a horn honk outside. I gave myself a final glance in the mirror and then left my house.

"I don't even know why we're hanging out at Colton's house. He's in his room, so we're literally just in his living room by ourselves." Ginger complained.

"He was probably waiting for me to get there." I said.

"Yeah, sure." She said skeptically. "I swear, there's something wrong with him."

Was she serious? Did she make it her life's mission to hate on all of my relationships?

"What? Why do you have to hate on my boyfriends? It's like you don't even want me to be happy. You have Rory, and before that, half the male population of our school, and I never disapproved of any of it. How come you won't show me the same respect?" I asked.

"Oh yeah, because all of your little digs at me were showing such respect. All the time, whenever one of our guy friends came up to me, you'd be all "Oh Ginger, did you date him yet? I can't remember". Even know, you claim to be so happy for me and Rory, but I see you rolling your eyes, or sighing whenever he and I are together. And I will have you know, that I turned out right about Todd, didn't I?"

"Oh come on, Ginger! Those were jokes! I never shut you out and ignored you, just because you made a decision I didn't like."

"Seriously? You're still on that? It was like four months ago, and I apologized and admitted I was wrong. What the hell more can I do? Grovel at your feet? Beg for your forgiveness on my knees? I'm trying to be a good best friend right now, telling you that I don't trust Colton."

"Well you aren't the one dating him, so I don't have to take your advice. But maybe I should. If I don't, you might ignore me for another three months. I just don't understand. Why don't you want me to be happy? I'm happy with Colton. We love each other."

"Iris, you aren't happy. Sure, the relationship isn't like the one you had with Todd, but it's still bad! Todd let you in too much, and Colton won't let you in at all. You barely spend any time together."

I was happy. She didn't know me.

"I am happy! My life has sucked for the past couple of years, and I'm finally happy. My Dad died, I got involved in a crazy relationship, my best friend ditched me, and now I'm happy. It's like you can't stand anyone being happier then you. You want to have other people feel miserable, so that you feel better about yourself." I said.