Iris and Prom

"You look great honey!" Mom exclaimed.

It was prom night, and I was descending our staircase. Mom had her camera ready to take a photo of me and my dates, Rory and Ginger.

"Okay I want one of Rory and Iris, one of Iris and Ginger, and one of Ginger and Rory, and then all three of you together." Mom said.

Rory and I posed together. He slung an arm around my shoulder and we grinned at the camera.

"You two are so grown up. It was only yesterday you were fighting over Legos." Mom sighed.

We took the rest of the pictures, and were doing our group shot when Ginger said something that shocked me.

"Congrats, Lily!" She said. "Iris, why didn't you tell me?"

I gave her a confused look. "Tell you what?"

Rory put his hand on my arm. "Let's just talk about it later, and for now enjoy our prom night."

I looked at Mom, trying to figure out why Ginger congratulated her.

Then I saw it.

A diamond ring on her left ring finger.

"Iris, honey," Mom began.

I looked away. "When were you going to tell me you got engaged? The wedding day? God, I can't believe you."

"Iris, I was waiting for the right moment."

"How long have you been engaged?" I asked.

"Two days." She admitted.

"Right. Well great. Congratulations Mom. I hope the wedding is lovely. Maybe if I'm lucky, you'll accidentally send me a thank you card and that's how I'll find out."

I turned to Rory and Ginger. "Let's go."

They walked out in front of me.

"Iris, no. You need to stay here and talk to me."

I slowly walked towards the door. I opened it and then turned around to look at her. "Oops. Looks like I'm not staying here or talking to you. By the way, I'm on Percy's side."

And with that, I slammed the door in her face.

When we got into the limo, Ginger began apologizing profusely.

"I swear I didn't mean to cause a fight." She said.

I waved a hand. "It's not your fault. Now, does this limo have champagne?"

Rory shook his head. "They knew I was only seventeen when I booked it."

Music was blasting when we arrived at the ballroom where prom was being hosted. The room was a sea of black and white outfits, balloon, and even food.

"We're going to go dance." Ginger announced, grabbing Rory's hand.

Rory hesitated. "We shouldn't leave you alone."

I cracked a smile. "Go. I'm not here to ruin anything. I'll just go find some corner and people watch."

They went off to the dance floor, and I watched them for a moment.

I was jealous. I wanted a relationship like theirs. One with no lies, no book deals.

"Iris!" Bee yelled.

She ran up to me. She was wearing a grey dress, and her date, Bradley, was wearing a grey suit.

"You look great!" She said.

"So do you! I can't believe your parents let you go." I replied.

"Yeah. It took a lot of convincing, but here I am."