Chapter 36

"Y/N, we need to leave." Muichiro told you calmly.

Obanai look frustrated.

"Now I'm gonna stay here alone?" Obanai asked with his eyebrows pointing downward.

You felt quite bad that he'd have to spend the day alone, but being a Hashira usually includes going on missions alone and just being without others in general.

"It's okay, Obanai. Just keep exchanging letters with Mitsuri!" you replied in an uplifting tone.

His eyelid slowly lifted at those words.

"Yeah, alright. Thanks, Y/N." Obanai responded in a grateful voice.

You smiled and exited the estate, making your way to Owata City.

Muichiro followed, gripping your hand without letting go, ever.

There were still a few hours until nightfall, so you didn't have to rush.

"Dear, what do you think about every day?" Muichiro asked in a soothing tone.

You took a shallow breath, this was an easy question.

"You." was your reply with a warm smile.

Muichiro's cheeks started to turn pink.

He nodded, like he expected that answer and inched closer to you as both of you walked to the city.

Clouds began to fill the clear blue sky as Muichiro gazed upwards, admiring the cloudy sky, trying to remember what the types of clouds were.

"It looks like it's gonna rain soon." Muichiro commented, pointing at the thick, grey clouds.

It sure did as more clouds came from the east, blocking the view of the pastel blue sky.

"I didn't bring an umbrella, Mui..." you told him, worried about the rain.

He moved his hand from your hand to your waist, keeping you protected at all times.

"I have a layer of clothes under this uniform, we would use my uniform shirt to shelter us from the rain as we walk, is that alright, love?" he asked in a questioning tone.

You nodded, knowing the sicknesses that could be resulted from this, but he was a Hashira after all, he could withstand anything, really.

Tiny droplets of rain began to pour slowly.

"Ah, looks like it started raining." you mentioned, feeling the gentle rain drizzle.

Muichiro unbuttoned his uniform top and took the entire thing off, putting it over both of your heads.

He did have a thin long-sleeved shirt under, but it seemed like the thinness was enough to make him sick.

The rain began to wet his uniform top, but the immense material of the Demon Slayer Corps was strong enough to not even leak water through, not even one drop from how waterproof it was.

The rain started to pour harder as the dirt turned into sticky mud.

"Ew!" you groaned, seeing mud coat your zori and some of your socks.

It felt all sticky, mushy, and just so disgusting having mud get on open-toed shoes...

"Y/N, we should hurry, the sun is hidden, a demon may attack the city." Muichiro alerted you, bending over so that you could get on his back.

Still disgusted by the mud, you hopped on his back as he sprinted towards the location at his extremely fast speed.

His uniform top was still over both of your heads as you helped hold it while he ran.

"Ahh, Mui, when are we going to get there? The mud is splashing..." you complained, seeing the mud get even more wet.

He gripped your legs tighter and started to sprint even faster.

"In a few minutes, just hang on, my love." he replied, his legs pumping at an unreal speed.

A few minutes began to pass and Muichiro grabbed sight of the city.

A river of blood leaked from the entrance and screams were heard.

"Y/N, you can use my top as a shelter from the rain, I'm going to take care of the demon and can you please direct the citizens out of here?" he requested, pulling his sword out.

"Got it!" you responded in an instant.

He nodded and dashed towards where he sensed the demon.

It was your turn to do your part.

"Everybody, please make your way out of here, fast, the city is being attacked!" you yelled, seeing people peak their heads out of their windows.

A whole bunch of people took your word as they did hear the screaming coming from the back of the city.

"Follow the path until you find shelter!" you hollered, pointing to the path that you and Muichiro had come from.

Everyone followed each other down the path as you made your way to the back of the city.

Kids were crying, dragging their mother's limp bodies which were bleeding from the inside.

It broke your heart, you'd went through this too, after all.

You began to gather the children together, assuring them that everything would be alright.

"You're just like mommy!" one squealed in a positive tone, smiling.

You'd been kind to them and had been speaking in a gentle voice, most likely comparable to their mother.

A few were about your age, but unusually stubborn.

The children began to follow you to the entrance of the city.

"Follow those adult over there." you told them, pointing at the adults escaping.

They nodded and rushed over to them for safety.

It wasn't that hard to get the citizens out.

I hope Muichiro's alright. you thought, jumping on roofs to locate him.