I Told You So

Tiffany

Two Months Later....

As I sat up in bed alone, caressing my belly, I couldn't help but think about what my appointment the next day would reveal. I was terrified. It was like I could feel there was something wrong. I guess I already had a strong maternal instinct. Richard was in California for the weekend for a game against the 49ers. Football season was in full effect and I wasn't able to make it to every game, but at almost every single home game you could find me with or not too far from Jeneé and the other basketball partners and spouses. It hurt to know that I would most likely be receiving some really disturbing news at my appointment and he wouldn't be there to support me, but he was working and I couldn't get in the way of that.

I felt around under the thick, plush covers in search of my phone. When I found it, I quickly unlocked it and dialed Richard's number. It rang about three times before I heard him groggily answer the phone, sounding like he was halfway asleep.

"Rich."

"Yeah, baby, what's wrong?"

"My appointment's tomorrow."

"I know. I wish I could be there with you, but I'll be back in a few days."

"I'm so scared. I can't even sleep."

"What did I say? There's nothin' wrong."

"No, Richard. I'm her mother and I can just feel it."

"Well regardless of whether there's anything wrong or not, she's still gonna be perfect to us."

"Yeah."

"You want me to stay on the phone with you until we fall asleep?"

"Would you?"

"Just close your eyes and imagine I'm in bed with you." I did as he said, flipping over on my side and sitting the phone up on my ear.

"I love you."

"I love you too. And you Olivia," he spoke softly making me giggle. His soothing words made me worry a little less, but it was still very much there. With my eyes closed, I could here Richard's breathing through the speaker of my phone. It really felt like he was in bed with me except for the simple fact that his arms weren't around my body, holding my belly. Before I knew it, my eyes were heavy and I could feel myself going under.

***

Dmitri

"Yeah, I know. I miss you too." I chuckled as I spoke on the phone with my friend.

"When are you gonna come and see me?" Robyn asked with her soft, sweet voice. The two months I spent in New Zealand, we hung out a lot and she was an extraordinary person. And before you ask...NO we didn't have sex. We just went back to my hotel room and talked about life. It probably sounds crazy, but its true. She was an upcoming model, she'd traveled to and worked in hundreds of countries, and she was a completely open-minded person. I knew that it wasn't right to be hanging out with another female without my wife knowing, but we were only having a little fun. And we were being really discrete with everything. It wasn't like we were walking the streets, holding hands or going on dates in public places. We were just simply having fun.

"I'm not sure. I'll be leaving Cali in a few days. Maybe I can fly out to NYC before I head back to Atlanta."

"Awww, really?"

"Yeah, but my wife is probably missing me too, so I won't be able to stay that long."

"That's fine. As long as I get to hang out with you.... Looks to me like Jeneé's having fun in Florida."